• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mountain Riding Advice for a Flatlander

Ruggybuggy

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Phazer FX 144
So I have an opportunity to take my Phazer out to the mountains for some riding but have some concerns. First the snowmobile is FX non turbo but stretched to 144 and running a 2" paddle and has the Yamaha tuner skis. A friend of mine who has rode a number of times in the mountains says the 144 is the minimum. He also says a becon, pole and a shovel are mandatory. I'm looking at riding in the Canmore/Banff area but not looking to ride extreme, just some groomed trails to elevation to basically take in the sights. I was planning on joining a group and don't plan on riding alone. So is the Phazer up to the task? Are there any of the forum members from the Calgary Banff area that will be riding on the weekend of Feb 20/21 that would like to show a flatlander around?

Forgot to mention I do have the skins float plate with the control arm floats.

Last edited:

Well, it sounds like this will be a great experience for you! I'd love to ride that area someday myself, but pretty unlikely since I'm on the west coast of the U.S. Anyway, I think your Phazer will do just fine with the 144 x2" track, even without a turbo. Obviously you won't be able to climb as far or as fast as some other sleds, but if you're just out to see the sights you should be able to get around alright. As far as the setup on your sled, I would suggest a wide ski (such as the stock MTX skis), though it won't make much difference if you're not dealing with a lot of new snow. I don't know what gearing you have in your sled, but if you just happen to have a 17/41 set lying around, I'd probably swap those in as well, though it also may not be worth the effort just for the time you're there.

Regarding the transceiver, shovel and probe...yes, I'd agree that they are mandatory. Hopefully you could borrow these items from someone or possibly rent them near the area you'll be riding. I'm guessing you already own a shovel, but if you're going to be riding in avalanche terrain you'll want to keep the shovel on/in your backpack (not mounted to the sled) so that you do not get separated from it in the event that you have to ditch the machine during a slide. This is important so that if members of your group get buried you can dig them out as quickly as possible. Using the transceiver to search for someone can be tricky, but hopefully it won't come to that and it's main purpose will be to help others find you if necessary. If there is significant avalanche danger and the group you are with is riding conservatively and paying attention to the terrain, you will most likely be safe, but there can be a lot of temptation to ride areas that LOOK great, even though they can be dangerous. I'd just try to follow your gut feelings about any terrain (unless your gut is saying 'Just go for it!') and listen to people who have more experience in that type of terrain. I'm sure they'll be happy to show you around and look out for you!

One more thing comes to mind, as far as mountain riding goes...going down reallllly steep hills can be pretty sketchy and the brake usually won't do much (if any) good. Obviously it's no problem if it's all clear below and you have a long ways to run out and slow down, but if you can't see ahead or there are obstacles (trees, rocks, other people, etc) it can turn into a wild ride. What I have found to work best is to pump the brake quickly (just about like anti-lock brakes on a car) just get on it enough to start slowing you down, but as soon as you feel the track lock up release the brake, and repeat as necessary. At the same time I will usually bring the engine RPM up to engage the clutches a bit, then let off the throttle to allow the engine braking to help slow me down a bit as well, and keep doing this to maintain a comfortable/safe downhill speed. I've heard of some people putting the sled into reverse before they start a steep descent, but I've also heard of people destroying their reverse gear/chain, etc. while doing this (luckily no Phazer stories of this happening, that I know of) so I haven't tried it. Lastly, I've heard that people have had great success with looping an old blown belt around one ski loop (drill a hole in it and connect the two ends of the belt with a bolt) so that it can be flipped down and pushed under the ski when you're about to go down a steep hill. The belt then creates drag and prevents you from getting out of control. When you get to the bottom, just flip the belt back up over the tip of the ski and go on your way. Apparently a belt on each ski creates too much drag. I would have tried this trick out, but I've never blown a belt (yet) so I don't have any lying around.

Hopefully this helps a bit, and let me know if you have any more questions, I'll try to help.

Thanks for all the info. I have a friend who has ridden in the mountains and has a transceiver, probe and shovel that I can borrow. It's too bad he can't come with me but he has work obligations. I have to be in Calgary to do some mandatory work courses on Thurs and Friday so I thought why not go sledding in the area. The company flies me out for the two days and I can fly back on any day I choose. The initial plan was to fly out, do the course then rent a vehicle for the weekend and head over to the mountains. There are several services that offer an all inclusive ride that includes, everything you need including the machine and prices are around $400 for a day ride. The other option is for me to drive out with my sled in the back of the truck. The company with pay for the gas to get out. The road trip will take 15 hours but I will have my own sled and won't have to rent a vehicle. It would be nice to sled with some other Phazer owners on this forum but if that doesn't happen then I would go with a group with experience guides.

Well that's good, it sounds like you will have a great time! I'm glad to hear that you will be able to ride with other people that know the area, and hopefully they'll show you the 'good spots' as well. I'm sure it would still be fun if you were to fly there and rent a sled, but I don't know that it would compare to being able to ride the machine you are most familiar with, and exciting to see how it performs in different terrain. Hopefully you can still find some other Phazer (or at least Yamaha!) riders to head out with, but either way I'm sure you'll have a great time. :)

You can not ride in Canmore/Banff, its a National Park. Golden is likely the closet mountain riding to Calgary. I have never rode Golden, so cant tell you anything about it. Always drive thru it on our way to Revelstoke. Back in the late 90's, a 136 track was the std mountain track. So the 144 will work out just fine, if the powder is deep the motor is what's going to be lacking.

Since its your first time, I would suggest flying to Calgary. Rent a car, drive out Golden/Revelstoke/Sicamous & rent a sled/guide for the weekend. Hope you make it B.C. & have a good time.
Its great you have access to beacon, probe, shovel. But do you know how to use them correctly?

Yeah I did find out that this weekend that you can't ride in the Canmore/Banff area. I knew there was training involved in being able to find a dig someone out. My buddy told me that it's a "skill". Because I on have a couple of days I wasn't planning anything extreme. Just a nice ride at lower elevation to take in the scenery. My initial thought was to go on a "group" ride where everything is included right down to even the clothing but was concerned I would get a dud of a sled. Taking a sled that I'm use to seemed like an advantage. I'm assuming that companies that offer such excursions are only taking clients into no avalanche areas? Anyone one done a similar thing and how was it?

Once the area is tracked you won't have any problems at all..just follow others

via big bad phone

Typical trails out West are from 15 to 30 kms depending on the area your going to. Pretty much is all trees once you get to a cabin if the hill has one, lots dont. So the chances of an avalanche is low, but still can happen. Then your into the Alpine, trees start to disappear & hills get bigger. Once your into the Alpine, levels go up. Don't have to do any extreme to be in ayv conditions. Like you said tour groups shouldn't put you in danger, but once you enter the Alpine its there. Im not trying to scare you, just making sure your aware. I understand wanting to ride your sled, renting is just not the same. Most tour groups rent 800's mtn sleds, so don't have to worry about duds.

Hey Ruggy. I would also suggest going to Golden, there are a couple areas I ride out there quite often that are really good. The most popular and easiest to get to would probably be Quartz Creek, usually is quite tracked out it's directly off the highway on your way from Golden to Revelstoke. I do have a turbo phazer and ride out there no problem, You will be fine on a stock phazer I'm sure!

Thanks for all the replies. It does look like Golden is where I'll be riding. I've decided it would be best not to use my own sled. I've talked to a few people who have done a similar trip and all say it's best to rent. I won't have to worry about transporting the sled, damaging it from a mishap, breakdown/damage or even the possibility it could go missing from the back of the truck.

Hey Luke, what do you think about the Paradise Basin ride? My buddy at work says it I could use a RMK 600 it would be one of the best sleds to use because it has a very forgiving balance point. Any excursion companies in the Golden area that are better than others?

I haven't heard about the paradise basin ride myself. In my opinion I would recommend on renting an 800, the rental companies will have the newest sleds available. Misewell get something that has the extra power there in case you need it. I've personally rented from Snow Peak rentals in Golden and had really good service. I do believe they do guided tours if im not mistaken.

Back