• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Mouse nest in Exhuast

TheKoning

Extreme
Hi folks,
Rider of a 2009 yamaha fx nytro here, i got my sled back from the dealer who was fixing an electrical issue only to find now that its back a large mouse nest in the stock silencer. I ran it for about 40 seconds untill i realized something was up. The exhaust is totally blocked and will now not rev over ~4,000.
Whats the best way to tackle this? I have a spare stock silencer off my xtx. would the easiest solution to just switch them?

Yeh get some barn cats they will take care of those $%^& mice. I hate those rodents. They use to get in my old 2 strokes and clog up the intakes. I keep my Yammies in the enclosed trailer and haven't had any issues in the last few years. Could be the 2 cats I have as they like to bite the heads off the mice and leave them on the front door.

Another thing you could get which is probably going to cost you less than $10 is get a 4 stroke exhaust plug. I went and picked one of these up one day after buying a bunch of sled parts for a friend and the guy at the parts counter looked at me real weird for a minute when I asked him for the plug. I then told him I was using it in a nytro and it then all made sense to him...

I forgot to put it in this summer myself too and I had the same problem, they got in there, but didn't do to much in the exhaust though. The mice decided to build a nest right above the engine between the gas tank and fan. They were even nice enough to chew through some of the wiring. I had my brother fix up the wiring for me today and its as good as new again.

Okay I'd like to reiterate... It came back from the DEALER with the nest. I would have put some newspaper in the exhaust like the dealer should have done.

The mice love newspaper for making there nest. You would have thought the dealer would have taken care of this for you. They also like air boxes and any where else they can mess up your sled. A lot of guys use mothballs or dryer sheets on or around their machines to keep mice away. I have used mothballs around my boat to keep the furry beasts away and have had good luck over the last 10 years. Hope everything works out for you and you will be ready to ride. Looks like you guys are getting snow up there.

Pete

buy something with launch control and blow those fuckers out! When i bought my sled i had a few chewed wires on the throttle bodies. about 1/2 thru 6 or so. cut and soldiered them up. good as new. almost....

I used to use poison but now I made Adirondack traps with 5gal bucket and soda can I have caught a lot of mice this way

I too have a nest but it is up around the header/Y pipe (I can see the grass built up around the pipe when looking down the tunnel).....I removed the seat and panels but still not able to get to it (did not pull the gas tank).

When I start the sled once it gets warmed up it starts to smoke up through the handlebar area and smells horrible. My first thought was to spray the area good with water and let it warm up until the nest smolders out or falls out. My fear is that the nest will catch on fire.....my question is....what are the chances it will damage anything?

Next option will be to take to a dealer (doughnuts need changed anyhow) and let them clean it out while they are in there.

take off gas tank. its super easy. two plugs and the fuel line connection. clean it out good. put it back together.

Back