• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MPI mounting bracket problem

Byam

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
SW2017
custom
Hi guys ! Now I am really disapointed! I was TRYING to Set or alling my turbo kit for exhaust and compressor clearance as told by MPI to my dealer and look what I found BEHIND the oem frame bracket.............3
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

As you can see the lower rear mount bracket Is broke really badly.... And I think its been a wild since it's been broke !!!!! The bolt has eating ALL and even more of tread in the engine casing!!! NOT FUNNY at all. This part of the bracket is screwed on the flywheel cover direct in the based casting......

I wonder if i am the only " lucky one" ho have wich I call a MAJOR problem??????????
I know its not easy to look for this but whitout removing the oem FRAME parts but you can see it a bit with a flashlight

the kit was installed by autorized YAMAHA dealer to keep full warranty. But what they can do??????? The bolt has eaten MUCH more then just the thread.....

Monday I am going to see my dealer for HELP HELP HELP.

I realy hope that YAMAHA and MPI will back their product!!!!!!

It is my " dream" sled and I feel really pissed about this mather

Everyone who have a couple miles on their lovely MPI viper turbo can you please look a this bracket and get back to me???

I have a couple of Yamaha toys .... And let me tell you something , none of them receive the love and care that I give to my sled . I really hope it will be correctly solved ASAP but I am wondering how..... ?

Thank guys !

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:

They will be able to Helicoil the case easy enough. Might have to redesign that bracket to catch more than one of those bolts. Were any other mount bolts loose?

Checked ours and they are fine. Sorry yours broke but good thing you checked yours so things didn't get worse. I am pretty sure I know why yours broke let me try and explain. The main turbo mount has a big M10x60 flange bolt that carriers most of the weight of the turbo(front mount). On that M10x60 bolt there is a aluminum spacer between the turbo mount and the mounting ear on the engine. That spacer has a 15 degree angle cut on one side. If that spacer was not originally rotated correctly so the 15 degree surface mates up with the engine mounting tab it would put a tremendous binding stress on the rear mount that broke on your sled once everything it tightened down. That rear mount doesn't carry much weight it's mostly there to be second mounting point so the turbo mount stays level and in place. That spacer is covered in the MPI manual on steps 66 - 68. Also looks as if your turbos oil return line was cut way to short by the installer and is rubbing a hole in the hose where its routed behind the OEM side support bar. I believe Yamaha has machined that front mounting tab flat on the new 16 engines. Maybe MPI can chime in on Monday.

http://mountainperformance.com/Files/Download/mtv-0500 viper 190 r2.0.pdf

Last edited:
Checked ours and they are fine. Sorry yours broke but good thing you checked yours so things didn't get worse. I am pretty sure I know why yours broke let me try and explain. The main turbo mount has a big M10x60 flange bolt that carriers most of the weight of the turbo(front mount). On that M10x60 bolt there is a aluminum spacer between the turbo mount and the mounting ear on the engine. That spacer has a 15 degree angle cut on one side. If that spacer was not originally rotated correctly so the 15 degree surface mates up with the engine mounting tab it would put a tremendous binding stress on the rear mount that broke on your sled once everything it tightened down. That rear mount doesn't carry much weight it's mostly there to be second mounting point so the turbo mount stays level and in place. That spacer is covered in the MPI manual on steps 66 - 68. Also looks as if your turbos oil return line was cut way to short by the installer and is rubbing a hole in the hose where its routed behind the OEM side support bar. I believe Yamaha has machined that front mounting tab flat on the new 16 engines. Maybe MPI can chime in on Monday.

http://mountainperformance.com/Files/Download/mtv-0500 viper 190 r2.0.pdf

Yep what he said. Loosen that big bolt and rotate that angle cut bushing until it fits the best before final tightening.

Hi guys ! Now I am really disapointed! I was TRYING to Set or alling my turbo kit for exhaust and compressor clearance as told by MPI to my dealer and look what I found BEHIND the oem frame bracket.............3View attachment 112065View attachment 112066View attachment 112067View attachment 112067
View attachment 112063 View attachment 112068

As you can see the lower rear mount bracket Is broke really badly.... And I think its been a wild since it's been broke !!!!! The bolt has eating ALL and even more of tread in the engine casing!!! NOT FUNNY at all. This part of the bracket is screwed on the flywheel cover direct in the based casting......

I wonder if i am the only " lucky one" ho have wich I call a MAJOR problem??????????
I know its not easy to look for this but whitout removing the oem FRAME parts but you can see it a bit with a flashlight

the kit was installed by autorized YAMAHA dealer to keep full warranty. But what they can do??????? The bolt has eaten MUCH more then just the thread.....

Monday I am going to see my dealer for HELP HELP HELP.

I realy hope that YAMAHA and MPI will back their product!!!!!!

It is my " dream" sled and I feel really pissed about this mather

Everyone who have a couple miles on their lovely MPI viper turbo can you please look a this bracket and get back to me???

I have a couple of Yamaha toys .... And let me tell you something , none of them receive the love and care that I give to my sled . I really hope it will be correctly solved ASAP but I am wondering how..... ?

Thank guys !

Just curious if your Yamaha Dealer and or MPI are getting you fixed back up ?

Waiting!!! Its gonna take a wild i guess!! #$%&*:o| The flywheel cover is tottaly screwed and the engine case really bad!!!:dead:

Fist i have to thanks MPI who had no problem to send me the replacing bracket N/C

YAMAHA ypp YOU SUCK! NOTHING IS UNDER warranty here in CANADA..... Or maybe just in Quebec!!!! MPI want to take care of customer but YAMAHA warranty dont give a #*$&@ about us.....

MY kit was install by GFORCE ( yamaha dealer)" official MPI" supplier here and they realy did a SLOPPY job....
I was looking to get it done how it was suppose to by a YAM dealer to keep warranty!! Bullshit....... (If i would have known before i would have done it at the beginning MYSELF)

Nothing was covered by YPP and if i would want the dealer to repair it,I had to $$$!!

So i get my sled back in MY garage to get it DONE RIGHT,and it will!!!!!

Even if it was not right at first ,This part of the bracket seems pretty week to me....

I realy hope everything will be okay for allseason long!!!

GUYS in CANADA make sure everything done by your dealer is done proprely.....

I also have problem whit thermosensor plug,its broke
take a look at yours it seems at a bad place!. How did you place yours?????
image.jpg

Thanks!

Sorry to hear you had a poor installation. I stopped by many times while mine was being installed by WSL here in Winnipeg. The mechanic was so meticulous it was amazing. There is no reason for a crappy install as the instructions from MPI are over a 100 pages long with pictures and instructions. They even tell you where to put the zip ties. I have had my hood and dash off to put in my stuff and am still very impressed with the install and layout.

As to warranty, most of that is dependent on how good the dealers relationship is with Yamaha. I see it all the time on the quad forums. One dealer does it no problem and the next one wont. If they installed it wrong, then they would have to admit that to Yamaha. Not likely in my experience. Dealer that installed it wrong is also not likely to push very hard to replace either. My dealer would have done it on their dime even if Yamaha said no if they were responsible.

I had a VERY animated talk whit " THE" man in charge of warranty for over 20 dealer!

He was very clear,ANYTHING that broke because of turbo was NOT under warranty by YAMAHA! Dealer have to deal whit MPI! 1 year warranty by MPI. So my 3 years warranty is #*$&@! Let say i broke the headers next year,its under warranty! If the pipe broke it will not be!!

I understand now why all the dealer here ,dont want sell this turbo kit.... First they dont do money on the kit,they have to give support to their customer,and YAMAHA dont give them any........

I had a VERY animated talk whit " THE" man in charge of warranty for over 20 dealer!

He was very clear,ANYTHING that broke because of turbo was NOT under warranty by YAMAHA! Dealer have to deal whit MPI! 1 year warranty by MPI. So my 3 years warranty is #*$&@! Let say i broke the headers next year,its under warranty! If the pipe broke it will not be!!

I understand now why all the dealer here, don't want sell this turbo kit.... First they don't do money on the kit,they have to give support to their customer,and YAMAHA dont give them any........
If that's the case here in the states, Than Yamaha can GTH with their YES warranty. That was the whole reason I purchased the MPI over Hurricane. If my mods fix my start issues, I'm not purchasing YES!

Fist i have to thanks MPI who had no problem to send me the replacing bracket N/C

YAMAHA ypp YOU SUCK! NOTHING IS UNDER warranty here in CANADA..... Or maybe just in Quebec!!!! MPI want to take care of customer but YAMAHA warranty dont give a #*$&@ about us.....

MY kit was install by GFORCE ( yamaha dealer)" official MPI" supplier here and they realy did a SLOPPY job....
I was looking to get it done how it was suppose to by a YAM dealer to keep warranty!! Bullshit....... (If i would have known before i would have done it at the beginning MYSELF)

Nothing was covered by YPP and if i would want the dealer to repair it,I had to $$$!!

So i get my sled back in MY garage to get it DONE RIGHT,and it will!!!!!

Even if it was not right at first ,This part of the bracket seems pretty week to me....

I realy hope everything will be okay for allseason long!!!

GUYS in CANADA make sure everything done by your dealer is done proprely.....

I also have problem whit thermosensor plug,its broke
take a look at yours it seems at a bad place!. How did you place yours?????View attachment 113092
Thanks!

On our install I put the thermostat housing slightly tilted to get it to clear the hood. Did yours touch the hood and bounce into that sensor?

On our install I put the thermostat housing slightly tilted to get it to clear the hood. Did yours touch the hood and bounce into that sensor?

Just another Tip on the thermostat housing. When we did our 2 installs the final location of the housing can be moved quite a bit if all the hoses are loose. Then move around so it ends up in a safe place so that wire doesn't get broke or pinched on the side of the housing. You can even trim 1/2 to 1/4 inch off the hose to allow for extra clearance with that plug and the frame of the sled. Once your happy tighten all the clamps down. As stingray said your going to need to tilt it a bit, that's normal.

wonder why you would even want to mount the turbo to the engine. there is a flex joint on the header going to the turbo then bolt i right back to the motor. is there any other flex points? is it mounted to the frame at all? is the muffler bolted direct to the turbo and on the frame?

Sorry to hear you had a poor installation. I stopped by many times while mine was being installed by WSL here in Winnipeg. The mechanic was so meticulous it was amazing. There is no reason for a crappy install as the instructions from MPI are over a 100 pages long with pictures and instructions. They even tell you where to put the zip ties. I have had my hood and dash off to put in my stuff and am still very impressed with the install and layout.

Wow, 100+ pages of installation instructions, just two or three pages for the Hurricane 190 kit.

Yes the hurricane kit is very easy to install. They win. Yay them!!! Not sure why anyone else even tries to be in the market.

My point was that the MPI instructions show every single little thing to do. Every zip tie, which angle to put stuff, what torque for bolts. They are trying to achieve consistency over many different installers. I think that if I was to get an aftermarket kit on a sled that was not brand new I would go Hurricane. I am not sure why guys are so determined to slam other options. There are many from Turbo's, 4th wheel kits, clutches etc. Not everyone needs or wants the same thing. Just my 2 cents (Canadian so 1 cent US)

Back