• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MPI Supercharger Failure - Where do I go from here?

TUTRider

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Yamaha Nytro 162 w/MPI Supercharger
Hello all, first time poster. Needing some insight and advice:

I have owned a 2012 Nytro 162 w/MPI supercharger for about 5 years. Bought it with extremely low miles/hours and use and don't use it super often so miles and hours are still pretty low. Always kept up on maintenance, kept supercharger oil full, etc. Lo and behold, supercharger blew the other day (reading on the forums this looks to be semi-common with the shaft failing). Really bummed but trying to figure out what to do next.

MPI is out of business so I can't get anything "new" or get advice from them. My mechanic is digging into things now to see what exactly failed and to make sure there is no damage to engine (). I would really like to get it back to working condition (I LOVED the supercharger) but also want to do whatever I can to make sure this doesn't happen again. Buying a used kit off eBay is an option, but don't want this happening again in a year or less. Not really looking to turbocharge as I have all the supercharger stuff installed and I have a custom exhaust which will not accept a fitted kit turbo.

Thoughts? Options? I love this sled. Really don't want to junk it or not get it back up and running again if I can help it. Thanks for any advice.

Hello all, first time poster. Needing some insight and advice:

I have owned a 2012 Nytro 162 w/MPI supercharger for about 5 years. Bought it with extremely low miles/hours and use and don't use it super often so miles and hours are still pretty low. Always kept up on maintenance, kept supercharger oil full, etc. Lo and behold, supercharger blew the other day (reading on the forums this looks to be semi-common with the shaft failing). Really bummed but trying to figure out what to do next.

MPI is out of business so I can't get anything "new" or get advice from them. My mechanic is digging into things now to see what exactly failed and to make sure there is no damage to engine (). I would really like to get it back to working condition (I LOVED the supercharger) but also want to do whatever I can to make sure this doesn't happen again. Buying a used kit off eBay is an option, but don't want this happening again in a year or less. Not really looking to turbocharge as I have all the supercharger stuff installed and I have a custom exhaust which will not accept a fitted kit turbo.

Thoughts? Options? I love this sled. Really don't want to junk it or not get it back up and running again if I can help it. Thanks for any advice.

Maybe reach out to Allen Ulmer, he might be able to assist you. @Srxspec

Give Rotrex a call. They may sell replacement parts. I believe there is also a company that inspects/rebuilds those units. Don't recall the name at the moment.
Google may help.

There is a company in Florida that sells Rotrex blowers Jackson Racing i looked into getting a larger blower not that long ago. But they also had the c-15 as well.

Hi Allen !
I have purchased clutch kit for my 2014 MPI turbo 2014 Viper from you and am very happy. At some point I want to bring The sled to you to tune it.
Now for my current problem lol ! I also have a 2011 Apex with MPI supercharge kit. I was doing some maintenance and after getting everything back together which included new vacuum line off of intercooler because of dry/crack in one of them. It gave me code 20. I now know I can’t clear it because there is no power to GEMS controller in diagnostic mode. And it doesn’t have a piggyback T harness to disconnect and reconnect to bypass it to clear code as it’s wired directly into OEM connectors. Do you have any ideas on how to clear that code with this set up.
Thanks !

I have very little information or first hand knowledge with the 2011 and newer Apex models and superchargers. I will say though, if the sled will start and run, the code should go away if fixed. If the code stays then you have a difference in readings between the two intake pressure sensors.

I have very little information or first hand knowledge with the 2011 and newer Apex models and superchargers. I will say though, if the sled will start and run, the code should go away if fixed. If the code stays then you have a difference in readings between the two intake pressure sensors.
Thank you ! One more question. Do you know if there should be a hose attached to bottom sensor down by nose cone. Mine does not. I bought a new sensor from Port and just haven’t had a chance to install yet to see if that’s it but I didn’t see a hose connected to it.
Thanks !

No hose to that sensor, it's simply open to atmosphere.

Back