• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MPI Turbo Install Questions

mdkuni

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Installed a MPI trail turbo on my Viper and have a couple questions that I could use some help with.

1. AFR numbers are in the 11.7-12.1 range. I can't seem to get them down to the recommended 11.3-11.8 range. I set my GEMS settings to the early Turbo settings listed on MPI's site which helped but I still see the number spike into the 12's when I open the throttle. I am also now getting some backfire after a long pull. Seeing boost numbers as high as 4.6.

2. Anyone else having interference issues with the air/oil separator making contact with the hood? The two front black pieces won't lock into the tabs because they are being held up by the separator. See pic.

3. Suggestions for cable routing for your gauges? I am trying to not drill a hole to get the cables back under the hood. I thought about removing the accessory plug since I won't ever use it.

Attachments

• IMG_20171227_221548.jpg
    IMG_20171227_221548.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 199

Installed a MPI trail turbo on my Viper and have a couple questions that I could use some help with.

1. AFR numbers are in the 11.7-12.1 range. I can't seem to get them down to the recommended 11.3-11.8 range. I set my GEMS settings to the early Turbo settings listed on MPI's site which helped but I still see the number spike into the 12's when I open the throttle. I am also now getting some backfire after a long pull. Seeing boost numbers as high as 4.6.

2. Anyone else having interference issues with the air/oil separator making contact with the hood? The two front black pieces won't lock into the tabs because they are being held up by the separator. See pic.

3. Suggestions for cable routing for your gauges? I am trying to not drill a hole to get the cables back under the hood. I thought about removing the accessory plug since I won't ever use it.
Are you sure it's the oil seperator? It might be the aluminium airbox hitting the hood! Mine did and i had to grind the black plastic on the underside of hood! As per instructions!
Are you running lean at wide open throttle? It will show lean at certain parts of throttle! Wide open you want it under 12
When i installed my kit i threw the tps out and cause sputtering and some backfiring worth to check
Turn key on (not started) hold down both bottom left and right button for 10seconds. Thos will bring you into troubleshoot mode. Scroll down to tps and see if its at 0 push throttle and release should go to 0 . Do this with handlebars all the way left then all the way right and center

Did you notch the belt guard as per instruction? If so maybe it wasn't enough to drop the seperator low enough?
Step 114 and 115 shows you where to grind it says the trail kit(non innercooled)
Typically does require to grind but a had to do it to mine to get hood on properly

Are you sure it's the oil seperator? It might be the aluminium airbox hitting the hood! Mine did and i had to grind the black plastic on the underside of hood! As per instructions!
Are you running lean at wide open throttle? It will show lean at certain parts of throttle! Wide open you want it under 12
When i installed my kit i threw the tps out and cause sputtering and some backfiring worth to check
Turn key on (not started) hold down both bottom left and right button for 10seconds. Thos will bring you into troubleshoot mode. Scroll down to tps and see if its at 0 push throttle and release should go to 0 . Do this with handlebars all the way left then all the way right and center

It is definitely making contact. I checked the airbox again as it was fine before but I had to pull the box out of the boots slightly as it was rubbing on the steering column. The hood is resting on the airbox now as well (thanks!). I will shave the hood down further than I already did but I don't see this fixing the separator making contact though. I did notch the guard and followed all instructions to a T. The box is resting on the guard as shown in MPI's instructions. I will move it around once I get the hood cut more and see if I have better luck.

Did the TPS check, no issues.

Wide open will show 12-12.1. RPMS are high right now (9200) and am working on the clutching but wasn't sure if there was anything else I could try or should look for. How are your gauges mounted and routed?

Attachments

• IMG_20171228_005421.jpg
    IMG_20171228_005421.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 185
Call mpi there tech service is very knowledgeable and can guide you for the afr!
I wish i could post pics on here but im not having any success!
I notched the 2 back corners of the black plastic screen behind the steering column and brought cables/hose threw there. I mounted my boost gauge on one side of gauge cluster and afr gauge on the other side! I used the existing tork screws on the bat wing to mount gauges!
Ill go take a look at my oil seperator and see how it's sitting compared to yours!
You can try contacting murdered 137 (a member here) he just did a install so he may be some help

20171206_165025-756x1008.jpg
This pic should show you how low the air/oil seperator needs to sit on the clutch guard.

Try pushing the aluminum tube further down the hose till it touche's the plastic tube on the air/oil separator if you can, that should give it more clearance, last resort would be to trim both the aluminum tube and rubber hose.

Try pushing the aluminum tube further down the hose till it touche's the plastic tube on the air/oil separator if you can, that should give it more clearance, last resort would be to trim both the aluminum tube and rubber hose.
Good, idea. Will give it a once over tonight. Thanks.

I would agree with the above you need to trim that aluminum 90 shorter. I had to on both of ours, also you can take that aluminum 90 and push it over to the frame post and cable tie it in place This will hold the box down lower as well. Angle grinder with a 36 grit sanding disc works very well to trim the back side of the hood right above the air box. You don't want the hood touching the air box at all or it will start to wear a hole in the aluminum. Just reinstall the hood and you can peek in there with a flashlight to see where you need to grind more to try to get a 3/16 Gap

Back