• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MS16sm clutch tuning

Doc Harley

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'17 Sidewinder LTX SE
MaxSpool 16sm
Dalton Qay-70
Stock primary spring
Dalton B/O sec. Wrapped 6/2
G Force Redline belt
Am I to believe that the Qay-70 weigh in at 70g empty? (No scale)
I see on TD's chart to start at 72g and wasn't sure if group could possibly shed light on this, based on your personal experience. Just to get me a bit closer to a starting point.

Ty..... Joe

Mine:
Powertrail, stock springs, performance muffler, no cold air, xs belt. I had 1/2 &5/8 bottomed out approx 74.4 grams

Mine:
Powertrail, stock springs, performance muffler, no cold air, xs belt. I had 1/2 &5/8 bottomed out approx 74.4 grams
I thought you'd be running a touch lighter with XS belt. I guess it would depend on which performance muffler.
Pretty sure the "stock mod" muffler doesn't do extremely well vs "SQ" or other. The later probably command a little more weight.

Looking at the chart I suppose my options are limited to
1.9g, 2g, & 2.5g

IMG_20221209_090858864_copy_1536x2048.jpg

MaxSpool 16sm
Dalton Qay-70
Stock primary spring
G Force Redline belt
I see on TD's chart to start at 72g and wasn't sure if group could possibly shed light on this, based on your personal experience. Just to get me a bit closer to a starting point.

Ty..... Joe
Start weights empty with that belt. TDs starting points are using 8JP belt. I dont have experience with redline belt but was told from reputable source it runs similiar rpms if not a bit lower rpms than xs belt. I would ditch the stock primary spring for yamaha blue-brown-blue or dalton blue.

Start weights empty with that belt. TDs starting points are using 8JP belt. I dont have experience with redline belt but was told from reputable source it runs similiar rpms if not a bit lower rpms than xs belt. I would ditch the stock primary spring for yamaha blue-brown-blue or dalton blue.
I see the blu/brn/Blu has a lower start rate & higher finish.
So it's going to move earlier on start and hold rpms a little higher in the rpm band. Is that correct? What will that help me to achieve?

Note: bought a Blu/wht/Blu some time back. Would that be an ok substitute for Blu/brn/Blu? Just asking.....

I would also buy a scale; they are cheap and are invaluable when fine tuning your clutching.

I would also buy a scale; they are cheap and are invaluable when fine tuning your clutching.
I bought the wrong one. It only reads to the closest gram. Not milligrams.

MaxSpool 16sm
Dalton Qay-70
Stock primary spring
G Force Redline belt

Ty..... Joe

I would start with empty weights. The redline pulls 100 rpm lower than an Ultimax.

You don't mention helix, but if your sled is 19 or newer, and running stock 35/39, adding tip weight in the Dalton's will make it tough to maintain rpms at topend. IMO you will fair better with straight 35 helix.

I would start with empty weights. The redline pulls 100 rpm lower than an Ultimax.

You don't mention helix, but if your sled is 19 or newer, and running stock 35/39, adding tip weight in the Dalton's will make it tough to maintain rpms at topend. IMO you will fair better with straight 35 helix.
Stock 35° helix

I run stock weights, stock secondary spring, blu/brwn/blu, MS16, stock intake, stock map sensor. Mine spins 9,100.

I did just fix some major boost leaks. We will see if that makes any difference.

I run stock weights, stock secondary spring, blu/brwn/blu, MS16, stock intake, stock map sensor. Mine spins 9,100.

I did just fix some major boost leaks. We will see if that makes any difference.
Which belt?
Working on these intake clamps is killing me. No b.s.
1.5 to get to pic
1.5 to find lost bolt & fuel rail spacer
1.0 to think about things...
4hrs total and haven't loosened the clamps yet. Lol
IMG_20221210_143949714_copy_2048x1536.jpg

I see the blu/brn/Blu has a lower start rate & higher finish.
So it's going to move earlier on start and hold rpms a little higher in the rpm band. Is that correct? What will that help me to achieve?

Note: bought a Blu/wht/Blu some time back. Would that be an ok substitute for Blu/brn/Blu? Just asking.....
The factory spring is awkward, its quite long and has a low finish force to it. It can bind and some guys had them break as well. The blue brown blue may lower your engagement a smidge but nothing drastic. It will also help hold better rpms up top especially if you introduce some tip weight into the daltons. The blue white blue isnt a bad option either if you have it already. It will engage a little lower than blue brown blue and is a little softer up top but its a short spring that wont bind or break so better than stock spring.

The factory spring is awkward, its quite long and has a low finish force to it. It can bind and some guys had them break as well. The blue brown blue may lower your engagement a smidge but nothing drastic. It will also help hold better rpms up top especially if you introduce some tip weight into the daltons. The blue white blue isnt a bad option either if you have it already. It will engage a little lower than blue brown blue and is a little softer up top but its a short spring that wont bind or break so better than stock spring.
What belt are you running? Lol...

I'll order the Blu/brn/blu

Back