• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

MTX rear torsion spring install help

stunter1

Expert
I have a 2008 Phazer MTX and got some used 2500nm rear torion springs. Does anyone know the best way to install these or any tricks that will make my life easier. It doesnt look fun.

thanks

If its like the XTX, Elevate the rear skid, roll the plastic wheel bracket forward, push up and un hook the front part of the spring from the wheel area, drop the rear skid bolts.... after that its pretty self explanatory.

Having the rear skid out would make it easier on you to set up. Then use ratchet traps (or something similar) to compress the skid and re-install. Keep the end of the spring out of the bracket for installing the skid.

Once the skid is back in place do like Mr. Sled said and you should be set.

I find having the skid out will make it much easier to work with.

crap I dont want to take the skid out. I did on my RX-1 and it was a pain to get back in.

Im working on it right now and have the stock springs unhooked and loose in the skid. I cant get the skid bolts out though. Im wrenching on it and the nut on the back keeps spinning. And the bolt is on there good. Not sure if its because its got lock-tite on it and its the first time the bolt has been out (sled is brand new) or because its under pressure.

If anyone can help Id appreciate it, Im losing patience in the garage right now.

I thought this would be a quick swap.

I attached a picture of the bolt I cant get to loosen.

Attachments

• sled.jpg
    sled.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 139
It has loc-tite... just crank on them, they will be extremely tight. You might need a breaker bar or slide a pipe on the ratchet.

You should not have to take the rear skid out. I just don't have a stand so I find it much easier to take the rear axle out and the 4 bolts and put the skid on a work bench.

I needed someone to hold the nut on the back while I used a breaker bar to get the loctite loose.

Just an FYI, once you do get those bolts out you may need to ratchet strap the suspension a bit to get the bolts and holes to line back up.

Ok I'll get someone to hold a wrench on the back of the bolt. Its sucks there isnt much nut to hold onto on the back. Thanks for your help guys.

Is the shock putting tension on the bolt?

stunter1 said:
Ok I'll get someone to hold a wrench on the back of the bolt. Its sucks there isnt much nut to hold onto on the back. Thanks for your help guys.

Is the shock putting tension on the bolt?

Very little but thats not the reason the bolt wont come out it the loc-tite.

if your wanting to loosen it heres a tip that I have that helps me out, since you have one bolt broken loose already, tighten it back up to pretty snug then go over to the other side then try to break the stubborn bolt loose, once you have broken the loctite then loosen the other side again. keeping pressure on the rear suspension helps also, I loosen the bolts to the rear skid till they are almost out before I even raise the rear of the sled off the ground.

natedawgedog said:
if your wanting to loosen it heres a tip that I have that helps me out, since you have one bolt broken loose already, tighten it back up to pretty snug then go over to the other side then try to break the stubborn bolt loose, once you have broken the loctite then loosen the other side again. keeping pressure on the rear suspension helps also, I loosen the bolts to the rear skid till they are almost out before I even raise the rear of the sled off the ground.

That tip is great for the bolts that go into the cross shafts, the one in the rear here is not bolted into a cross shaft but rather into a very thin nut that can be tough to get ahold of and break the locktite at the same time.

yamahas said:
natedawgedog said:

That tip is great for the bolts that go into the cross shafts, the one in the rear here is not bolted into a cross shaft but rather into a very thin nut that can be tough to get ahold of and break the locktite at the same time.

yea I shoulda looked at the pic a little better and noticed it was a phazer also :o| sorry!!!

Back