• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Muffler glowing red

1nc 2000

Lifetime Member Tim
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha FX Nytro RTX SE
After a good rip on my sled tonight I stopped trailside and my muffler was glowing red on the inside. Stock exhaust with no power adders. I noticed this since I installed tunnel block off plate below muffler to rear of tunnel.
IMG_20150131_182448_867.jpg

You'd be surprised at how hot the exhaust gases are, 1200F to 1600F and above which is hot enough to heat steel red hot is not uncommon at high rpm's.

My Apex would throw flames when I would slow down after a long lake run. It was cool!!!

My friend was following once and when we stopped he asked me when I installed the light under my muffler! I said Whaaat? Same deal I had a blue flame like an afterburner on a jet engine just out of the exhaust port.

It really heats up my rear plastics that's for sure! And they even unhook from each other time to time. But I figure every exhaust only needs airflow so wth let-er-eat lol.

I think I'll let the snow keep my exhaust cool...that doesn't look good!

That looks great! If your exhaust isn't glowing your not riding hard enough :)
Don't think anything could be damaged by this? Maybe plastics slightly, but I wouldn't worry

Since I installed my Canoehead block off plate in, I noticed things are a little warmer back there this year. The plastic gets toasty.
MS

Back