• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Tether Install

Ruggybuggy said:
But won't the relay be active all the time the tether is removed? If the tether is removed it will kill the battery over a period of time.

I would think (but om no electrician) that the relay is normally closed, this is where you'd have the brown wire in and out so to speak..

Then 12v to power the relay (only draws power when activated but should be switched 12v from ignition key??), ground to relay and then the tether witch is normally open will close and ground out the relay opening the circuit and breaking power.. I'm assuming you might not want to power the relay with constant 12v but perhaps with ignition controlled 12v to avoid battery drainage??

If someone skilled enough in 12v electronics could to a quick concept sketch of how it should be wired I wouldn't mind seeing that :)

Getting a normally closed tether is starting to be very tempting but I have wires an da nice (expensive) normally open tether so I'd at least like to give it a shot..

If you used ignition switch power that would work. You would only drain the battery is the key is in the on position and the tether is pulled, but other "things" on would drain it also. Be sure to buy a good quality relay because if a cheap normally closed relay has issues it could lead to a no start.

My son had one on his Phazer, just like that one. He ripped it out. The switch would fill with water and snow and jam so he couldn't start it. It would also come out with very little pull, like from the jacket. Maybe the real Cat version is better but probably more expensive.

Mine is the Kimpax part for the Cat and it seems to have held up well so far from last year.

That said, I made sure when I did the splice to used a male on one side and a female on the other so that I could bypass it in the field if necessary.

I wanted to install a tether on my Phazer. It was very simple and quick to do. Total time was under an hour.

I purchased this normally closed switch (PN 420487): http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/2242-kill-switch

Cost was under $15 including shipping. I removed all the body panels and the headlights and loosened all the bolts on the tank cover to give me some room to work.

I located the brown wire going from the Stop Switch on the battery side of the sled and installed the tether switch inline with the brown wire.

Soldered the connections and taped everything up.

I installed the tether switch on the left side of the machine since I already had an unused hole on that side. Plus it gives me the ability to stop the machine on the left or the right (using the stop switch). And I am used to the switch on the left side from my Skidoo days.

Tested the tether:

1. Started machine and let it warm up.
2. Press the stop switch - engine stopped.
3. Reset the stop switch and started engine. Pulled the tether - engine stopped.

All good.

Any issues with the tether so far?

What are you guys using to attach to the person? Not all of the coats have a hook to hook on.
I clip my hook on the cord far enough up. I end up wearing it like a watch if you will. I can slip it on with my gloves on and once on I pull it tight. I always put it on my right hand because my left hand is used for hand signals. Hope that helps

What are you guys using to attach to the person? Not all of the coats have a hook to hook on.
I just use a small carabiner which I attach to the waist adjusting loop at the sides of the jacket.

Back