• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

My Vector WILL NOT START! Help!

Sleddog1

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2000 SXR 700
2008 Vector GT 40th Anniversary
2014 Viper LTX
I recently pulled the motor on my 08 Vector to change the starter and starter gear which were both damaged. After putting in new parts and gaskets. I put the machine back together and it will not start. It sounded strange while starting.
I noticed that 2 of the coil wires were put on the wrong cylinder. I had someone work on it. He checked the valve clearance and I believe he screwed up which coil goes to which cylinder when he connected the wires back to the plugs. I disconnected the coil wires and measured them. Each coil wire goes to the corresponding cylinder due to the length of it. The sled sounds much better now while trying to start it ,but it won't fire. I think it may have thrown the timing off or the fly wheel key snapped because there was some nasty backfires while trying to start it before I switched the coil wires around. I have tripple checked each wire connection on the sled. I have spark ,I have fuel getting to the carbs ,but she WILL NOT START. I'm stumped!

Plugs might be too wet with gas to fire, change plugs and try again to start

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plugs changed and gapped twice. The plugs are remaining dry. Fuel is not getting into the cylinders. It won't even fire on spraying fuel in the carbs.

Are you hearing the fuel pump turning on when you turn the key?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It just chugs like starting it with the kill switch on. Don't worry ,i checked that.

you are probably right with the timing. The chain might have jumped with the backfiring. I hope I don't have a bent valve as well. Compression test tomorrow .

Back