• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need Advice

Ruckus

TY 4 Stroke Master
Dear TY,
While on my last ride I broke the rear H arm for the 3rd time (each one was a new updated piece), found a broken shock bushing, lost the bolt on the secondary, lost a rear idler wheel and split my exhaust. Now, should I tell my friends about all the troubles my Yamaha suffers and the subsequent midnight wrenching to have her ready for the next ride or should I tell them that it is an awesome machine that would never leave you stranded?
Thanks,
Confused

We all have to work on them. If you don't ya aren't ridding hard enough. Just tell them about a couple little things. Can't tell them that many things. Spread that list out over a year and they will be jealous.

LOL Why pull your punches? You are obviously hard on machinery. Sounds like you could break anything. If it bothers ya that much, try breaking one of the other brands and see how it goes. Maybe the yammie will turn out to be better?

Edit: I see you are from Newfoundland. There is at least one other rider here that also lives there with a nytro who has reported very few problems. Maybe try hooking up with him and see if you like it better? ;)!

You remind me of a buddy of mine who could break anything. One year for his birthday, his wife bought him an anvil, and he broke it.

When we looked closer at his riding and maintenance habits, we realized that he was reckless on the trail and a hack in the garage.

I never in all my riding years, and with any brand of anything I have ever used, have I lost a secondary bolt. This to me is an indication of your overall attention to detail.

I recommend you

That sled will not hold up to hard riding. Do all the mods you want, then when you're just about broke, you'll have a worn out modded sled that just needs 'one more mod'. That type of riding is not the Phazers strong point.
Look at the overall picture, 10-15 yrs ago, you didn't see guys getting 30 feet of air with their XLT, on a daily basis. "Tougher, faster, lighter", poor manufacturers, we'll never be happy.

Sorry about all your problems. From past posts, it sounds like you stretched your Phazer to 136"? Got to wonder how that affects your suspension? Sounds like its more than a Yamaha issue. Phazer would not be my 1st choice to beat on IMO.

Ruckus said:
Dear TY,
While on my last ride I broke the rear H arm for the 3rd time (each one was a new updated piece), found a broken shock bushing, lost the bolt on the secondary, lost a rear idler wheel and split my exhaust. Now, should I tell my friends about all the troubles my Yamaha suffers and the subsequent midnight wrenching to have her ready for the next ride or should I tell them that it is an awesome machine that would never leave you stranded?
Thanks,
Confused

And whats the date today?? ;):D

I think you need a race sled Ruckus. Or a SnoPro, a Poo 600RR, or a XRS. Or, like others have said, a Nytro. Can i buy yours when you're done with it though? lol.

I dunno, man. I wonder if its the weight of the sled causing undue stress. I usually ride with an 800xp, old rev 800 and 2 crossfire 700's. Seems like I am the only one making repairs on a constant basis. I realize that the motor can't keep up with the larger displacement sleds but the chassis was supposedly designed for abuse. I mean, what does FX or RTX stand for? I am a smooth rider and the terrain I ride is soft snow. I jump it but its always on a steep landing and my suspension is set as soft as possible to reduce the small vibrations and impacts. I'd love to have a Nytro but I'm concerned about the weight, complexity and the inherent quirkiness than everybody on here talks about. The only way I could justify it is to buy a good used one and then spend the needed coin to improve it. Some of the AK guys have awesome Nytros.
Maybe you guys could suggest the main mods I would need. I would think I would want:
1. Skinz front end
2. Cat rear skid
3. New oil tank
4. Gel battery
5. OFT steering relocator
6. Roll Over Valve
7. Block off tunnel
8. Aftermarket exhaust
9. Skis
10. Track
I'm getting scared here just tallying up the aforementioned mods. Any more suggestions?

If you ride really hard, the only solution is to buy a new sled every year or two. Before getting the Nytro I had a Dragon for two years. It was the ideal ditch banger, and I rode it like there was no tomorrow, but I built up a long long list of broken parts.

Like someone else said, try getting a sno-cross sled or sno-x replica, and start budgeting for new sleds more often.

Back