• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Need help for clamshell gas struts location

rkkoeb

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
None right now
I purchased a clamshell trailer and want to add a set of gas struts. A Few question what length struts should I purchase and how do I decide the location to install? These struts will be used to lift the clamshell instead of the current center post that the trailer has. Trailer is 101" x 10'

I purchased a clamshell trailer and want to add a set of gas struts. A Few question what length struts should I purchase and how do I decide the location to install? These struts will be used to lift the clamshell instead of the current center post that the trailer has. Trailer is 101" x 10'
You might get more answers if you post the Make/Model of clamshell and a few pictures of the trailer itself. If it was made to optionally have struts, there are probably plates or spots where plates will be added about 3 feet from the front along the side rails. We just put these on a buddies trailer.

no current mounting points, No sure what the brand is put here is a pic

Attachments

• thumbnail_20230220_162021.jpg
    thumbnail_20230220_162021.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 53
I would start by estimating the lifting force required to open the clamshell. This will tell you what amount of lift assistance you need, keeping mind that there are two struts. Those Suspa struts are designed for up to 12' trailers so they should be fine. The trailer lid is basically a lever, acting against the lifting force of the strut. If you mount the top of the strut half way along the lid, then the lifting force of each strut is cut in half, etc. With those ~3' struts you will start with your trailer open, and find a spot where the lifting assistance you think you need will work with the leverage of the top to give you the assistance you are looking for. You are starting with the strut fully extended, the top of the strut at the point in the lid where you guesstimate the lifting assistance needed. The other end is located by closing the strut (collapsing) and then close the lid. To be safe, I would close the strut about 90%. Where the other end of the strut lands is where you are going to mount the bottom end of the strut. We used some clamps on the brackets at each end of the strut to find the right spot, opening and closing the lid a few times to make sure it all worked. You can get close enough with just trial and error.

Back