• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

need more rpms

Nah, I'm sure the exhaust is what is doing it, but I'd rather give up the 3 or 400 rpm the exhaust i built is losing. And keep the 11 lbs I lost....

RockinJW said:
Thanks for the help Mars. I've got a pretty good handle on cltuching, I did all the clutch work on my Cat 900 myself. I've just never dealt with Yamaha's before.
The yammi secondary is alot like the cat,older secondary clutch,only differance is you dont have 3 allen cap screws to remove the helix to set your spring pressure,on the yammi you dont need to remove the secondary clutch off the jackshaft to increase spring pressure,just loosen the 3-12mm nuts on the helix,and use the spline on the center shaft to hold everything togeather when you try to wind it up tighter,but you have to have the larger 14mm bolt and bushing removed from the center shaft. look on the helix there are 4 places to tension the helix from the helix along,and 3 holes on theinside sheeve to install one of the spring tangs into,say you want 80 degrees of wrap put one tang into 1,2,or3 marked into the sheeve,and 6 and 9 on one side of helix and 0 and 3 on the other side of helix,now relizing you have to twist farther from one side of the helix than you do from the other side it may start to make sense as why it takes so much more force to make it past the next angle pad that you will have to align it up with,than push it down over the three posts and secure the 3 nuts in place when done,so do the math zero on helix and 3 on sheeve is only 30 but 9 on helix and 1 on sheeve is 100 so if you want 80 do 6 on helix and 2 on sheeve to do 80 degrees of wrap,now i have not seen the phazer secondary yet,but if it is the same as all yammi secondaries it will be like described,the reason i like to adjust it on the shaft is it easier to hold when i wind it up.

Ummm, have you ever even looked at the '07 Phazer secondary...?

They went back to the the YXR clutch, like the 91 - 93 Exciters and Phazers...

When I changed my exhaust on my 550 fan I lost 500 RPM, I had to reclutch to get it back.

Changing the engine characteristics will affect clutching characteristics.

I thought of it like the extra torque creating more strain and pulling the plates apart sooner and thus pulling the RPM down.

-Steve

Back