• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Ecu flash for Yamaha Viper/Arctic cats 7000 w/POLL

Your experience with the December 2018 Viper ecu update

• Total voters

First ride tonight on new flash. Started 1st try at 11 degrees F. Very snappy. Rode 57 miles. Rode hard for last 25 miles. Stopped to top off and it started up 1st try hot. Its 5 degrees now so I will see in the morning how it cold starts. My start issues started at -5. I am very happy and fingers are crossed.

Cannondale, have you made any top speed runs with your new flash yet? The consensus seems to be the flash makes the sled feel more responsive, correct?

Cannondale, have you made any top speed runs with your new flash yet? The consensus seems to be the flash makes the sled feel more responsive, correct?
Not yet. Will this weekend but I also clutched since New Years ride (last years flash)where I hit 107gps at 8400rpm. So was 400 rpm down from last year with my off season changes.

Not yet. Will this weekend but I also clutched since New Years ride (last years flash)where I hit 107gps at 8400rpm. So was 400 rpm down from last year with my off season changes.

Wow! What gearing? Drivers?

MtCooler believes the popping and running on 1 or 2 cylinders was not faulty tether but was when idled long and temp reached over 200deg. No warning light. So don’t do that with new flash.

215 miles today in Munising and this flash is worse than what I had. Sled is in a 2 start situation most of the time. Never had that before this flash. Rarely did it start on first try even when I let fuel pump cycle or not. first try and it putters and cranks but doesn't start. Let go of key, hit it again and it fires instantly.

Very up disappointed with this flash, we all expected more. It's like Yamaha has to provide us with a manual on how to start this damn thing???

215 miles today in Munising and this flash is worse than what I had. Sled is in a 2 start situation most of the time. Never had that before this flash. Rarely did it start on first try even when I let fuel pump cycle or not. first try and it putters and cranks but doesn't start. Let go of key, hit it again and it fires instantly.

Very up disappointed with this flash, we all expected more. It's like Yamaha has to provide us with a manual on how to start this damn thing???
Mines doing the same thing

Try giving it a shot of throttle when it is cranking on the first time. Mine fires when I do this. I have a changed my battery, plugs to iridium new high test fuel with isopropyl and still the sma thing is happening. I am blamong the flash and just going to ride it.

Right now I’m in Millinocket ME. The temperature is-2 F. They are predicting the temperature is going to be -10 degrees. Will see home starts with the new flash

Is that 9.8V spec listed somewhere? If so that is the problem right there. I wish my Multimeter had a faster refresh rate but It does have recall and cranking at -10*f usually shows ~9.5V and I assume even lower at colder temps. I'd like to see the inside of the ECM to see how big the caps are too, I'm guessing not enough capacity to smooth out the steep voltage drop during compression strokes. I have an EFI outboard engine that runs into the same issue, if the cranking voltage drops below 9.5V while cranking the ECU "resets" on every compression stroke. Installed a bigger battery in that boat and problem solved. If its going to be Frigid, it gets parked next to the truck as it will start very quickly when boosted off running pickup truck in the morning. Mine has never failed to start on Frigid mornings without a boost but I cringe at taking 2-3 long attempts before it catches.
I can't remember who gave me the voltage requirements for the ECU but the requirements do change from one manufacturer to another. Even the type and use of the ECU within the same manufacturer will change the voltage nominal required.

Just start my 2017 Viper with new flash started great outside temp -5 F

Back