• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Ecu flash for Yamaha Viper/Arctic cats 7000 w/POLL

Your experience with the December 2018 Viper ecu update

• Total voters
Can anyone confirm a rumor of the rev limiter being increased to 9,400?
I have the latest flash and I'll find out this weekend, but do have mixed results on this new flash, definitely longer cranking to start than before, sometimes takes 3-4 attempts to start, then when it does start after a few attempts it sounds like it's running on one cylinder, than do 2 and finally all 3 after a moment.

At first things seemed much worse, wouldn't start unless left in shop and a small backfire happened. It is weird that after some pretty heavy riding, did 185 k loop on Friday, it seems to work pretty well now, it started at -33F this AM. Have never experienced any hot start issues. On another point, if you don't do this flash will that = Yamaha saying "Sorry we can't cover damage due to the backfire because you opted out on the latest flash"

At first things seemed much worse, wouldn't start unless left in shop and a small backfire happened. It is weird that after some pretty heavy riding, did 185 k loop on Friday, it seems to work pretty well now, it started at -33F this AM. Have never experienced any hot start issues. On another point, if you don't do this flash will that = Yamaha saying "Sorry we can't cover damage due to the backfire because you opted out on the latest flash"
I think they only way they could deny you a warranty claim is if there is proof that the latest flash was offered to you. I have a 2015 Viper that I bought brand new through a spring order. I have yet to ever receive any sort of formal communication from either the dealer I bought the sled from, or direct from Yamaha telling me I should take my sled in for a reflash. In fact, had it not been for TY, I never would have heard of a reflash. The reflash is only being done for sleds that change hands through a dealer, or people that have taken them into a dealer for maintenance/problems, or people that have actually asked a dealer for the flash (which that got wind of through hearsay).

Was talking to a dealer in town here who said that cold starts should be improved for the 2016s with this flash, as they start the worst in the cold. This apparently addresses that. Said it prob won't help cold starting for the 2014s and 2015s.
FWIW.
I wonder why that would be. I will say I have a 16 and the new flash completely changed my sled for the better. instant starts all day where as before it would take 3-4 attempts to get it started and revs up faster and cleaner. No more off idle hesitation. This is how the sled should have ran from day 1

Had the flash done on 2016 xtx today. I was there when it was done. it seams the new flash was put on then the the pc prompted that there was another flash need and said it was the kick back update. But I'm wondering because the new flash was done first then the older kick back flash done last. did the older flash done last over wright the newer update flash? This was the way the pc prompted them to do it as I was standing right there.

I wonder why that would be. I will say I have a 16 and the new flash completely changed my sled for the better. instant starts all day where as before it would take 3-4 attempts to get it started and revs up faster and cleaner. No more off idle hesitation. This is how the sled should have ran from day 1
I have a 2014 RTX and the latest flash absolutely turned this machine around. No more backfires, idles evenly, and starts much better warm and cold.

One thing that I've noticed since the flash, is that no matter how you start it, it takes a couple/few seconds of cranking to start cold. I've tried cycling the fuel pump, and not cycling the pump, and it just starts the same.
Once warm, I've had some funny starts. Once, a backfire, but not as bad as the last flash.
Idle is way better and acceleration is cleaner.

Can anyone confirm a rumor of the rev limiter being increased to 9,400?
I’m definitely not hitting the limiter at launch nearly as much, BUT when I checked the recall twice it only showed 9280 both times. I’ve seen recalls over 9300 on the previous flash.

I’m completely happy with this flash. It does take a longer crank to fire than it use to hot but it starts first crank hot or cold. Smoother idle and not nearly as touchy at clutch engagement.

I richened it up low end by 5% and it fired first try this morning which was as cold as previous morning I believe. MtCoolers 7000 started also so not sure why they both started good but happy. Sure like rest of tune.

I’m definitely not hitting the limiter at launch nearly as much, BUT when I checked the recall twice it only showed 9280 both times. I’ve seen recalls over 9300 on the previous flash.

I’m completely happy with this flash. It does take a longer crank to fire than it use to hot but it starts first crank hot or cold. Smoother idle and not nearly as touchy at clutch engagement.

Thank you

Had fash done yesterday. -14c this morning so I tried the sled and it started on first try. But the RPM when cold was only 1450 to 1600 rpm and even drop to 1350 and sound like it was was only working on 2 cylinders for a second then went back to 1550rpm. Before my machine RPM would be 1800 cold and when warm drop to 1500.
Has anyone seen this with the new flash?

Last edited:
Well we know the vipers not going anywhere soon

Attachments

• 20190130063210.JPG
    20190130063210.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 175
What are you cold idle RPM? . before the flash mine was 1800 now it goes from 1450 to 1600 when cold and then 1500 when warmed up
But sled is starting the first try.

Last edited:

Back