• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New Engine in 2016 Vipers and Other Changes

By the looks of it, the only thing that is unchanged is the crankcase. Everything else is different.

Don't panic.... From what I understand it is more or less the motor out of the YXR. Yamaha is gonna use the motor for a multitude of things, if you were to order a new viper motor it would have many more points to mount the engine on the case. One case/motor for many machines, great idea!!! less manufacturing costs and still a very strong engine!

Don't panic.... From what I understand it is more or less the motor out of the YXR. Yamaha is gonna use the motor for a multitude of things, if you were to order a new viper motor it would have many more points to mount the engine on the case. One case/motor for many machines, great idea!!! less manufacturing costs and still a very strong engine!
Why wasnt the new 2016 owners told?

1. checked some of the stock #'s and they mach the Vector.

It is not a new engine it is still the same 1049 configuration. This has been known for quite some time. They made the changes due to vendor changes on the motor that is pulling multi duty in everything from sleds to side by side to other products so they would all have the same block and necessary mounting points and the parts supplier could not keep up with the demand of building that many motors.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/do...anges-affect-viper-motor.137451/#post-1244093

As I said in another thread, the improvements were meant for the side by side and maybe others. Who thinks Yamaha would spend all that money on upgrades to a Vector engine? :D

I am also told that this is what most of the changes are,

visual changes :
oil filter re-positioned
coolant hose moved
additional casting of case (2016 srv, YXR, XV1050)

new cyl design:
new camshaft caps less components
caps reduced to 3 pc design
coolant hose moved

camshaft:
new locating boss
valve timing remains unchanged

valve stem:
seals have gone to rubber with steel reinforcement

new chain tensioner with oil pressure assist (cam chain)
new cyl head cover :
oil cap moved
cover made out of alum
cap screws from 6 down to 4

crankshaft is now pressed to produce a stronger crank
connecting rods now use bolt with no nuts

Kind of looks like an engine designed for boost? ;)

my dealer told me they are 8hp less then the 14,and 15's. They will get the same top speed though. he said they changed the crank to accommodate the turbo.

my dealer told me they are 8hp less then the 14,and 15's. They will get the same top speed though. he said they changed the crank to accommodate the turbo.

They will get same top speed with less hp? If they are selling magic beans next to then grab me a pouch

The crank was changed for more strength, the horse power is within 1-2 hp..... Yamaha would not lower the total hp in the motor that all ready has stated the HP numbers.

i sure hope they give me some more info.
i dont get this at all. i just called my dealer, they have no idea. It would be nice to know if they are just going to leave me with my 2016 that isnt a 2016 anymore.

Back