• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

NEW experiment

stingray719

TY 4 Stroke God
I decided to see if I cannot get some weight off the front and ride more like my M8. I would post this in the mountain section but I suspect some of you with an XTX may be interested also.

I looked very closely at the 2014 M8 skid and the 2014 XTX skid with rail extenders. The only diff I could find was on the mounting of the front skid shock. So I drilled holes ahead of the wheel the same distance as from the back of the wheel. That puts me at my best guess where the added 22 lbs up front would dictate where it should go based on the M8 position. I lowered the spring retainers all the way down.

Testing on the side street with wheels was very encouraging. Sled transfered GREAT....better than ever. Bouncing the sled from the running boards (I know not a scientific experiment) it felt like it was finally using the front skid shock. BUT, the girlfriend likes the skis on the ground and good steering so I set it up more like a flatland sled than a mountain one, with the settings below

60 pounds front shocks
front skid shock spring set softest possible
rear skid shock 110 pounds air
limiters set on center bolt

The above setting seemd great testing at my house as far as feeling like power steering yet giving great transfer on launch. Were I too make this a trail sled I would pull the limiters down. Testing this weekend and results to follow.

Comments and suggestions welcome as I have not yet tested and any ideas might help.

Not quite sure what is trying to be accomplished here..are you looking for a wheelie machine or a good launching machine? Coming from a lot of drag racing this year I can say that this sled launches the best and the hardest when the skis only come a few inches off the ground. The rear suspension on atleast the ltx se model is the biggest thing hindering it from good weight transfer. A riding buddy has a 13' switchback 800. Our riding conditions today were a thin crust of snow that u broke thru as soon as u hit it..every time we raced his would wheelie right up and the back end would just dig a trench..the viper stayed very flat and would put 10 sled lengths on the 800 before you could say "yamaha rules" lol. All that being said I think the main thing this sled needs is some suspension tweaking to make it transfer..granted u are on an xtx but a good launch is the same on any sled. If the skis r way in the air..chances are you aren't going anywhere.

Well your buddy needs to set his pro r up a little better and slide forward on the seat. 2" forward on them makes a huge diff. my pro r has outrun a stock ltx several times.

You are right on the transfer, mine with the turbo was launching so hard i tore the factory set of limiter straps to shreads. I installed the straps out of the cat 141" skid which are shorter by 1-1/2" and now pull the skis about 12" after the sled sits back and takes off.

Attachments

• Limiter straps.jpg
    Limiter straps.jpg
    628.4 KB · Views: 214
Thumper1 said:
No kidding my buddies pro r smokes the viper

Yep, I was there when Yamadog raced and beat a Viper. With his 2013 polaris rush switchback. And I rode it and like he said lean a little forward and the thing just takes off! Maybe a little ski lift, but not enough to lose to a stock Viper. I thought it was a real nice ride and great take off. Nothing said bad about the Viper, but it will not beat a good running 800! With that said i mean both take off good and it's a fair race.

Thumper1 said:

Was the Viper totally stock? XTX? Just asking, not trying to veer from the truth.

My friend has a pro r and I waxed him 2 times...he won't run me anymore. The pro r's at the radar run did 81mph in 490ft. where I did 84mph.

Yamadog, not to get off topic but when you break limiter straps doesn't that mean your rebound on you shock is rebounding to fast?

Studroes144 said:
Not quite sure what is trying to be accomplished here..are you looking for a wheelie machine or a good launching machine? Coming from a lot of drag racing this year I can say that this sled launches the best and the hardest when the skis only come a few inches off the ground. The rear suspension on atleast the ltx se model is the biggest thing hindering it from good weight transfer. A riding buddy has a 13' switchback 800. Our riding conditions today were a thin crust of snow that u broke thru as soon as u hit it..every time we raced his would wheelie right up and the back end would just dig a trench..the viper stayed very flat and would put 10 sled lengths on the 800 before you could say "yamaha rules" lol. All that being said I think the main thing this sled needs is some suspension tweaking to make it transfer..granted u are on an xtx but a good launch is the same on any sled. If the skis r way in the air..chances are you aren't going anywhere.

I found that in my opinion the front skid shock was too short and the sled ran on the back of the track and the skis. Was much worse after long tracking it. As it is now at least on the asphalt testing is I can vary the rear shock pressure and make it either a wheelie machine or skis 6 inches off the ground and launch. The best part is that now I have actual weight transfer either way I set it that I never had before and action on the front skid shock I felt this sled was missing.

Tomorrow testing will tell! It might test horrible and I change it back in the parking lot! ;)!

NOS-PRO said:
Thumper1 said:

Was the Viper totally stock? XTX? Just asking, not trying to veer from the truth.

My friend has a pro r and I waxed him 2 times...he won't run me anymore. The pro r's at the radar run did 81mph in 490ft. where I did 84mph.

BIG diff between a stock Viper and one set up with the clutching fix YOU run :Rockon:

stingray719 said:
NOS-PRO said:
Thumper1 said:

BIG diff between a stock Viper and one set up with the clutching fix YOU run :Rockon:

That's the point I was trying to get across ;)!

Bring em on :die

:rules

Ya I personally don't mind lining up with any 800. I know my sled launches awesome and if I get out a couple lengths it's hard too make up that much ground without a quite a bit more power and quite frankly the 800s I've been on aren't as impressive as people let on and the viper when running right is more impressive than people give it credit for. It's not just the engine, the whole chassis just performs awesome once everything is working together

The race I seen with Yamadog's rush was a totally stock Viper LTX SE. No clutching nothing. And the Rush beat him from the start. So if it's set up a little better I'm sure the Viper would pull on the bottom end!

Studroes144 said:
Ya I personally don't mind lining up with any 800. I know my sled launches awesome and if I get out a couple lengths it's hard too make up that much ground without a quite a bit more power and quite frankly the 800s I've been on aren't as impressive as people let on and the viper when running right is more impressive than people give it credit for. It's not just the engine, the whole chassis just performs awesome once everything is working together

;)!

IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Front is light yet still maintains that glued to the ground feeling. Couldn't be happier with it now.

stingray719 said:
IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Front is light yet still maintains that glued to the ground feeling. Couldn't be happier with it now.

That's awesome!! Good to hear!! :Rockon:

Back