• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New to apex and 4 stroke

how do you adjust the shock on the dash?
Use the mode button until you find it then grip warmer up or down. Warning the electrical plug on the shock can fall out or get pulled out by ice so many do not work and if its not hooked up it wont show you a shock icon when you hit the mode button. Check in the skid then for the wire damage. When that happens it keeps its last position.

ill defiantly have to look in to that seat. i will say the zrt was an animal but the 4-5 mpg with my riding style got old after a few years with it, and my apex is studded like a damn porcupine so i dont think traction will be much of an issue. super excited to ride this thing and really see what it will do
The tripple-tripples when modded and setup well were certainly no slouches. They we would likely give a stock Apex all it could handle and more. Several years back I had a chance to ride a last gen Poo triple, I think it would have taken my stock Apex easily.

Mileage was a concern with them, however.

What's the difference between the RTX and The GT? Because when I registered it the vin came back as an RTX
Considering your VIN came back as an RTX, it would appear someone added the GT seat and front Ohlins shock. If that is the case and your Apex is actually an RTX and not a GT, then I don't believe your Apex has the electronic Ohlins shock Kinger had mentioned. Considering the PO added the seat and front shocks, I suppose it's also possible he added the electronic shock but unless I am mistaken, he would have had to also swap out the ECU from a GT as well in order for the shock to be adjusted.

On the gauge pod, there is a Mode button that will toggle between the grip warmer indicator and the rear suspension compression damping indicator or shock indicator where either the grip icon or shock icon will appear on the dash. There is a rocker switch on the right side of the handlebars that is used to either adjust the grip warmer OR the rear suspension compression damping based off what the Mode button is set to. If Mode is set to grip warmer (ie. grip warmer indicator is displayed on the dash), cycling thru the rocker switch on the right side will cause the grip warmer indicator to display on the dash and will also display the bars used to indicate the heat setting the grip warmers are set at. If Mode is set to rear suspension compression damping (ie. shock indicator is displayed on the dash), cycling thru the rocker switch on the right side will cause the shock indicator to display on the dash and will also display the bars used to indicate the damping setting the rear shock is set at.

Considering your VIN came back as an RTX, it would appear someone added the GT seat and front Ohlins shock. If that is the case and your Apex is actually an RTX and not a GT, then I don't believe your Apex has the electronic Ohlins shock Kinger had mentioned. Considering the PO added the seat and front shocks, I suppose it's also possible he added the electronic shock but unless I am mistaken, he would have had to also swap out the ECU from a GT as well in order for the shock to be adjusted.

On the gauge pod, there is a Mode button that will toggle between the grip warmer indicator and the rear suspension compression damping indicator or shock indicator where either the grip icon or shock icon will appear on the dash. There is a rocker switch on the right side of the handlebars that is used to either adjust the grip warmer OR the rear suspension compression damping based off what the Mode button is set to. If Mode is set to grip warmer (ie. grip warmer indicator is displayed on the dash), cycling thru the rocker switch on the right side will cause the grip warmer indicator to display on the dash and will also display the bars used to indicate the heat setting the grip warmers are set at. If Mode is set to rear suspension compression damping (ie. shock indicator is displayed on the dash), cycling thru the rocker switch on the right side will cause the shock indicator to display on the dash and will also display the bars used to indicate the damping setting the rear shock is set at.
The functionality of the Ohlins EC shock was built into every Apex ECU from ‘06-‘10, all that’s required for this upgrade is the shock itself and the sub-lead that plugs into the body harness of the sled up near the reverse linkage. If the sled tunnel has or had a hole for the RA dial then it’s obviously been upgraded, if this sled doesn’t than something else is up, or it’s a GT after all.

The functionality of the Ohlins EC shock was built into every Apex ECU from ‘06-‘10, all that’s required for this upgrade is the shock itself and the sub-lead that plugs into the body harness of the sled up near the reverse linkage. If the sled tunnel has or had a hole for the RA dial then it’s obviously been upgraded, if this sled doesn’t than something else is up, or it’s a GT after all.
If this is an rtx it would have the tunnel dial from the factory as the rtx came with the monoshock ra or remote adjust with the tunnel dial& gas charged rear shock & fox floats up front,easiest way to tell if its a gt is the gt had factory hood& tunnel gytr/ohlins stickers & no rear suspension adjustment knob hole on left rear of tunnel

If this is an rtx it would have the tunnel dial from the factory as the rtx came with the monoshock ra or remote adjust with the tunnel dial& gas charged rear shock & fox floats up front,easiest way to tell if its a gt is the gt had factory hood& tunnel gytr/ohlins stickers & no rear suspension adjustment knob hole on left rear of tunnel
it had all the stickers removed when i bought it so i m not sure what it did have on it but it doesn't have an adjustment knob on the tunnel which leads me to believe it is a gt but im still wondering what would cause the vin to come back as an rtx rather then a gt?

it had all the stickers removed when i bought it so i m not sure what it did have on it but it doesn't have an adjustment knob on the tunnel which leads me to believe it is a gt but im still wondering what would cause the vin to come back as an rtx rather then a gt?
Did the vin come off paperwork or a sticker or was it the one stamped right into the tunnel? No dial hole= gt model

Thanks, @Stubbs as I did not realize all 06-10 Apex ECU had the ability to control the Ohlins EC rear shock.

@Pabstkiller When you press the Mode button, do you see the dash toggle between the grip warmer indicator and the rear suspension compression damping indicator or shock indicator?

ApexGTDashIcons.JPG

If not, then the solenoid in the rear Ohlins shock is bad or there is a short in the pigtail cable going from the shock solenoid to the connector in the wiring harness above chain case.

Congrats on your new sled! Having been a Viper & SXR guy from the early 2000's, I'm beyond excited to get my recent '06 Apex GT up 'n running. My biggest issue is the oil leak that seems to be from under the engine. Not sure if the tank has a slight leak, the hose from it to engine, or other. From what I'm learning, it's not uncommon for oil leaks - so I wonder how the base of your engine bay looks. May have to pull airbox & battery tray to really look. But, if no drops on ground, then ...that's good. Mine also has a broken left A-Arm mount, which again seems to be a not-uncommon thing. Maybe check yours - especially lower ones - for cracks or wear areas around bushings.

How many miles on yours; mine has 9k. Good luck!

Congrats on your new sled! Having been a Viper & SXR guy from the early 2000's, I'm beyond excited to get my recent '06 Apex GT up 'n running. My biggest issue is the oil leak that seems to be from under the engine. Not sure if the tank has a slight leak, the hose from it to engine, or other. From what I'm learning, it's not uncommon for oil leaks - so I wonder how the base of your engine bay looks. May have to pull airbox & battery tray to really look. But, if no drops on ground, then ...that's good. Mine also has a broken left A-Arm mount, which again seems to be a not-uncommon thing. Maybe check yours - especially lower ones - for cracks or wear areas around bushings.

How many miles on yours; mine has 9k. Good luck!
ill defiantly have to check that out. In all honesty from reading things on this site and seeing what people paid for theirs I stole this thing it only has 4000 on it and it is clutched, piped, studded, and various other goodies thrown at it and i picked it up for $1500

ill defiantly have to check that out. In all honesty from reading things on this site and seeing what people paid for theirs I stole this thing it only has 4000 on it and it is clutched, piped, studded, and various other goodies thrown at it and i picked it up for $1500
Good lord, $1500 sounds like a deal 'n a half. Mine was $1300 but ...I have the stated repairs to address. Well done by you.

Good lord, $1500 sounds like a deal 'n a half. Mine was $1300 but ...I have the stated repairs to address. Well done by you.
from were I'm at I've see them go for more then 3000 with similar miles and aftermarket parts. the guy had it posted for all of 2 min when i messaged him id take it lol

Thanks, @Stubbs as I did not realize all 06-10 Apex ECU had the ability to control the Ohlins EC rear shock.

@Pabstkiller When you press the Mode button, do you see the dash toggle between the grip warmer indicator and the rear suspension compression damping indicator or shock indicator?

View attachment 164315

If not, then the solenoid in the rear Ohlins shock is bad or there is a short in the pigtail cable going from the shock solenoid to the connector in the wiring harness above chain case.
ill check it out and see if it pops up. if it doesn't do i have to replace the pigtail cable or is there a way to tell if the shack is set to the stiffest setting?( bigger guy lol)

If the shock indicator does not appear, then it could either be the pigtail OR the solenoid. My 08 Apex currently has over 18,0000 miles and I have never had an issue with the pigtail. Now, I have had to replace the shock solenoid and am on my 3rd one. I posted some tech exchange documents concerning the shock solenoid and cable routing of this pigtail in a different thread but here is a link to it. I've always followed the routing in the one Tech Exchange doc and never had an issue with cable breaking:

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/apex-ltx-rx-warrior-ecu-rear-shock.163814/

As for the compression damping setting the shock defaults to when the solenoid goes bad, unfortunately, it does not default to the stiffest setting but instead will remain at whatever setting it was previously set to before it went out. And, there is no way to determine what that setting is until either solenoid is replaced or the pigtail short is fixed/replaced and you can get the shock icon to appear on the dash.

Back