• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

new viper owner need advice!

Welcome to TY and to the world of Yamaha 4 stroke technology. Congratulations on your purchase. I think that you will love your Viper. IMO the Arctic Cat chassis combined with Yamaha's engine is the best of both worlds!

Installing aftermarket carbides is an absolute must. The stock ones are a joke. I am partial to Bergstrom Skegs because of my past experience with their longevity. I have the 8" triple points on the inside and a hard bar on the outside. Others recommend shapers and I may try them if shimming my skis does not fix the push that I have on loose snow.

One other item that I think is a must is the OSP belt adjustment tool. Simple & quick adjustment and it aids in the removal of the belt as well. In the thread on the OSP tool I posted a tip to improve the belt removal functionality of the tool by adding a temporary shim.

Since you want to only spend a few hundred bucks I would say that after buying carbides and the OSP tool then do some clutching. I am very happy with the "clutching on the cheap" set-up (see my post on that thread). Clutching is the best bang for the buck on these Vipers IMO.

If you want to spend a bit more money, an aftermarket exhaust silencer will give you a HP boost and shed some weight along with fixing the awful sound of the stock muffler.

Last edited:
Welcome to TY and to the world of Yamaha 4 stroke technology. Congratulations on your purchase. I think that you will love your Viper. IMO the Arctic Cat chassis combined with Yamaha's engine is the best of both worlds!

Installing aftermarket carbides is an absolute must. The stock ones are a joke. I am partial to Bergstrom Skegs because of my past experience with their longevity. I have the 8" triple points on the inside and a hard bar on the outside. Others recommend shapers and I may try them if shimming my skis does not fix the push that I have on loose snow.

One other item that I think is a must is the OSP belt adjustment tool. Simple & quick adjustment and it aids in the removal of the belt as well. In the thread on the OSP tool I posted a tip to improve the belt removal functionality of the tool by adding a temporary shim.

Since you want to only spend a few hundred bucks I would say that after buying carbides and the OSP tool then do some clutching. I am very happy with the "clutching on the cheap" set-up (see my post on that thread). Clutching is the best bang for the buck on these Vipers IMO.

If you want to spend a bit more money, an aftermarket exhaust silencer will give you a HP boost and shed some weight along with fixing the awful sound of the stock muffler.
Sooner or later ill add pipe and clutching but probably not till next season cuz I just spent 12k on sled. But soon enough after a few rides im sure ill change stuff around.

Sooner or later ill add pipe and clutching but probably not till next season cuz I just spent 12k on sled. But soon enough after a few rides im sure ill change stuff around.

Riding it stock will let you establish a baseline of the performance so that you will be able to tell how much of a difference the mods make.

Riding it stock will let you establish a baseline of the performance so that you will be able to tell how much of a difference the mods make.
Those were my exact thoughts, plus who knows it might just fine for me stock, we'll see.

6 inch shapers on inside and outside work awesome. Sled turns great and stearing is still light.

These were my stock carbides after 230 miles on decent trails. I ran these on the outside to complement 6" shapers I put on the inside. Carbide completely gone on one and an 1" fell out of the other one.
20c9ee6a4e4b93ed0c5f140dfb9083be.jpg

Ya I think ill just go get a set from dealer since I get 20% off, thinking 6" outside 4" inside. But should I get the yamaha carbides , I heard woodys makes theres is this true or should I get woodys

Ya I think ill just go get a set from dealer since I get 20% off, thinking 6" outside 4" inside. But should I get the yamaha carbides , I heard woodys makes theres is this true or should I get woodys
Put the longer carbide on the inside

If you are going to get something from your dealer get the Woody's package. Don't get the Yamaha ones. It really does not matter who makes the Yamaha ones if you just get the Woody's. Or you could call Scott Bergstrom bergstromskegs.com and have a chat w/him about ordering his triple points. He ships fast and has a quality product. Was 3 days shipping to nys. I went with 6" inside and hard weld bars outside. ski savers on all 4. I have yet to shim the back as it has been wicked cold and I do not have a garage to work in. I hope to get them shimmed this week. If I were reordering I think I would try 8" in place of the 6" as on some ice I was not digging in as well as I would have liked, mind you I have not yet done any setup changes to get more ski pressure.

I spent over 120$ on carbides and I wish I had just replaced the ski's from the start,slydogs 6" trail ski's and 6" shaper bars rock!!! Didn't have to shim or pull up limiter strap or any other Adjustments

Thanks for all the advice guys, one last thing I forgot to ask is what size picks would you guys recommend for these tracks?

I am running 1.375" Fast Trac Top Gun II studs. I have 135 studs in my 129" track.

Bergstrom... A buddy has them on his Venture his wife rides. They are AWESOME. The sled rides like it's on rails and doesn't dart around at all. Scott's a really great guy too, you talk to him directly, he takes the time to figure out what will be best for you, he is not condescending, he is AWESOME. I called to order some Triple points for my '07 Attak today and he sent me: 8" triple points, 1/4' ski savers, new rubber ski stops and contour bars all for $190....and he GUARANTEED that I would love the setup.

X2 on Bergstrom for a quality product and great customer service. I had his 8" triple points on my Apex and they were awesome. That sled railed with the triple points.

I put them on my Viper and it still pushed bad in the corners. However I did not move my shims over to the Viper before trading in my Apex and Scott thought that shimming would definitely help. He sent me a pair of 3/8" shims that I have yet to try.

Back