• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

New XTX Se???

1simpleton

Country
USA
Snowmobile
xtx
My wife and I are/were thinking about a pair of new XTX SE machines but reading the stories on here I am wondering if we might be better off looking at something else, why hasn’t Yamaha acknowledged the clutch issues and as for the suspension set up problems everyone is having is there a base the MFG recommends the dealers should be doing and they are just blowing it? I would be a little upset spending +10k a piece on new machine and having to dump money into it right away just to make it operate right.

Well without knowing your riding style it is hard to say. The sleds are for most, if you read on here very good. The XTX IS NOT a trail machine and even if you are 60% trail and 40% off trail I would reccomend the LTX. With the 137" 2.86 pitch vs the 141" 3.0 pitch you have virtually the same # of paddles on the ground and it will manouver fine in deeper stuf while being a much tamer trail sled.

The XTX is an uncoupled suspension and is made for more off than on trail. They do not steer very well but are a blast in the deeper stuff cause the nose comes up very easy. I went with the XTX for the uncoupled launch capability but at 252 hp could not keep the skis even close to the snow so have now coupled mine but it still will not steer in the turns.

The jury is still out due to poor snow conditions for most weather there has been gains on the clutching by Yamaha on the 2015 machines but that fix is simple and not very expensive. The rest of the performance issues is going to depend on your riding styles and what kind of machine you are looking for.

We live in Minnesota and for the most part do trail riding around our area, but we now are in a place/time in life that we can afford to travel and do multiple trips west and or up to the U.P. each season. We are both very experienced riders but do not want to have to rent when it comes to going out of town, that is why these seemed like the best fit.

So you are pretty much saying even though they are advertised as a “crossover” they are definitely not able to be set up as trail machine?

20141102_143508.jpg
My wife and I are/were thinking about a pair of new XTX SE machines but reading the stories on here I am wondering if we might be better off looking at something else, why hasn’t Yamaha acknowledged the clutch issues and as for the suspension set up problems everyone is having is there a base the MFG recommends the dealers should be doing and they are just blowing it? I would be a little upset spending +10k a piece on new machine and having to dump money into it right away just to make it operate right.

We have two XTX that we converted to MTX and they are GREAT! That being said there were two issues that were important to me that we addressed. Please note a lot of folks ride them as is and are happy it is us power freaks that cannot leave it alone

1. Clutching - the sleds are fine if you poke around but if you want them to rock see this thread http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/clutching-on-the-cheap.129971/
2. Original belt - some had great luck with original belt but a lot of us reverted back to the old tried and true 8DN that came on most Yamahas. Cost around 65 bucks.
3. Suspension - the XTX came with a VERY weak spring compared to other models, but a cheap spring from an LTX or RTX and the XTX now steers like power steering. http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/interesting-skid-shock-spring-info.131147/

That being said the only truly needed mods in my opinion on the XTX is the belt and skid shock spring change. We really like ours.

We live in Minnesota and for the most part do trail riding around our area, but we now are in a place/time in life that we can afford to travel and do multiple trips west and or up to the U.P. each season. We are both very experienced riders but do not want to have to rent when it comes to going out of town, that is why these seemed like the best fit.

So you are pretty much saying even though they are advertised as a “crossover” they are definitely not able to be set up as trail machine?

My XTX 141" is a trail machine and I couldn't be happier! Handles awesome and rails the corners. Right now it's got a 153" track on it and still ride it on the trails. All depends on how it's set up. A clutch kit for a couple hundred dollars will improve the sled drastically. Best advice is try one out somewhere and see if you and your wife like it....

It is the best sled I have ever owned!

Have a 15 XTX SE I put 95 miles on it last weekend on the local trails and couldnt be happier the suspension was soft and handled so well! Worth every penny!

so the old belt works fine no changes or do you require spacers or any thing like that?

so the old belt works fine no changes or do you require spacers or any thing like that?

"Old belt" as in 8DN belt from the Nytro, Apex and RX1?.....yes, this belt works very well and all you have to do is add 1 washer to each of the 8mm bolts on the backside of the secondary clutch....this will get you very close with belt deflection. Plus it's cheaper too.

If you do not hold the sled pinned to the bars for long periods of time I firmly believe you will get plenty of life and fun out of the stock setup. Is potential for more there? YES but having ridden my sled stock other than 4 wheel kit and a fancy bumper for well over 1000mi last year those were the funnest miles I ever had on a new sled. Stock. Then the bug for more bit again. Well that never ends. This is where the Yamaha advantage comes to play. We can add mods every year or two and not have to buy a new sled out of fear of our motors being wore out. We can also ride without fear of killing value because of high miles. Who cares how many miles are on as long as the owner is confident in it getting from point A to B and intends to keep it. This also allows you to either have plenty of time to save $ to get your next sled or pay the sled off and still have something to show for it and many more years of life debt free.

As for the XTX. It and the standard version Vipers are the ones Yamaha got right in the suspension dept for the people intended to use them. I rode and rode behind NosPros XTX and it has awesome suspension and handles very well. Nothing is perfect anything can be improved but it works and no mods were done other than adjusting it using the adjustments on sled.

i have 2015 viper xtx ant its great on trails pushes a bit in the corners i rode 300miles in one day and after i wasnt even sore and off trail its awesome

I have the STX DX and stock clutching good trail sled-if it would just snow. What you read hear is our passion from a group of guys who want not good but the best it can be. The performance gains are taking something good and making it better.

Is a good trail sled stock.

im unhappy with my sled, but im almost positive its dealer setup of the suspension.
I rode a 14 xtx demo last year and it had a amazing ride.
my new 15, the front works great, but ive got some adjusting to do on the rear. doesnt seem like its doing much.

Back