• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Noise in chain case area 2012 apex xtx.

Cruising between 30-40 mph letting up on the throttle-deacelleration hearing real excessive engine braking noise or winding noise rh side, chain case area best way to describe it. Checked chain tension messed with tightening, loosing no difference. Pulled case completely apart found couple bearings a little rough replaced them anyway and no change in noise. Drove daughters 2013 apex se and no noise at all.

I looked at that and needle bearings looked ok not marked up at all. I did put some white grease on them and I did take sand paper to the sleeve to clean it up. Its really loud you would think it would be real obvious to see.

Just a thought, I had a brake caliper piston stick on me last year and made a mess out of the rotor, should see excessive wear on the rotor if there is binding.

Does it sound like a Polairs XC Edge chaincase, where it whines when braking? Mine is making the same noise, I suspect the chain tensioner is making the noise. My oil is also darkening more than it used to. I'll pull it apart next fall. For now it is ok, doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but it is more noisy with the chain tensioner adjusted tight, 1/4 turn out. 1/2 turn out makes much less noise.

Yes Metallicat fluid was dark, did not change when braking, not sure about the polaris thing. I was going to change out the tensioner brg before the U.P. trip this weekend but dealer had to order it in. When the secondary bearing went bad did the noise carry over to right side of the engine? I did notice the adjusting bolt is a lot shorter on the daughters 2013 compared to my 2012.

Yeah I assumed it was all chaincase noise. All looked decent in there, and was easy enough to pull jackshaft. The bearing behind the secondary was in terrible shape. Dealer warrantied all jackshaft bearings and the jackshaft, due to wear from the bearing race on the jackshaft inside the chaincase. I believe 95% of what I was hearing was the bearing behind the clutch.

Back