• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro as a groomed trail sled??

Mikedom

Veteran
Looking at a 2009 Nytro 121" track, for my next sled. I like the seating position as opposed to my '06 Vector. How does this sled work as a groomed trail touring sled?? This is 99% of our riding. I know it has some limitations in the fuel capacity, but we rarely go more than 100 miles between stops. Also, does the high windshield and side deflectors effectively keep the wind off a 6' tall person?? That is my biggest concern when it dips down below zero. Thanks in advance....Mike :-o

Everyone seems to bitch about the fuel range, but i have never had an issue. I have done long trips as well as a lot of off trail. On trail it shines, off trail it could use a 136", but overall i love it. I would never go back to a non "rider forward" sled.

As for the wind protection you wqould want to put a larger windshield on it but i didn't cause it kind of looks goofy IMO.

i have an 08. i think its a great sled overall. If your just using it for a cruiser sled you would def need higher windshield i would say. Its more of a rough trail sled than a cruiser but its just fine on groomed trails.

It is my opinion based on actual riding my Nytro on all sorts of trail contitions is that a Nytro isn't a groomed trail sled that you want. It is cold when drivin in extreme cold conditions and tends to be stiff. The Nytro was designed to be rode hard in moguls. Thats where the Nytro shines and makes me smile.

My wife has a XTX and this is probably my favorite sled of all time. She rides fast on groomed trails and loves her sled, it just needs a little tweeking to get it soft for trail riding. Me on the other hand, i love to ride it hard in the bumps on the flat, off trail, wherever.... it is a great sled.

We put a mid ht windy on it with the deflectors, the windy looks funny, but im used to it... we also put the handguard extensions on it, i attatched a pic to show what its like..... She doesnt complain of being cold on it, and its fine for me....

Attachments

• xtx2.jpg
    xtx2.jpg
    366.9 KB · Views: 120
I would tell you to sit on the new vector with EFI and see if you like that rider position as opposed to the nytro/ vector you currently have. As much as I love my Nytro and would never get anything else it is a cold sled without the side deflectors and high windshield. I am more of a mogul masher/ ditch banger rider and at times when riding on niced groomed trials I sometimes wish I had my apex back. but from the standpoint of most of my riding the Nytro has been by far the best sled out of the box that I have paid for yet. You would also get the 10 gallon tank and would not need to buy extra parts to stay warm with the vector. From what I hear it is going to be a sleeper. That will be the next sled I buy for the wife. Just some food for thought.

What little bit I've had the opportunity of ride the Nytro, I really think it's worth the rider forward benefit. I'm looking to buy an XTX for the bumps hoping that it will do the job. Plenty of post on this forum that seem to support that idea.

As far as being cold, I'm not worried in the least. I tend to sweat my a$$ off between stops so if anything I'll be looking to cool off a bit. I do have the concern about the 7 gallon tank, but the tall tank option is always a possibility down the road. Besides, seems to be plenty of places for gas where I've ridden so not as concerned here either. Could be a trial and error thing. Yamaha also makes some sort of gas caddy type thing that you can mount toward the back of the running boards for extra range. That looks like a better place to add weight versus up front too. Something to consider.

I'm hoping the ditch banging performance of the suspension, and rider forward will make daddy happy. Time will tell.... :-o

It takes some effort to tweak this sled but once its dialed in, it is a blast to ride on and off the trails. I myself have never run out of gas before any of my buddies who ride A/C's and Skidoo's. I have always had plenty of gas left when they stop and they find themselves barely getting to the gas station. So as far as the gas tank goes, unless you're going on really long stretches before fuel stops, it not a problem at all. As for being cold, if you have good gear, its a none issue except for the hands. Even with the best gloves, my hands freeze on cold days. Yami's handwarmers are really poor.

I have the Nytro RTX SE and love it for groomed trails and especially rough trails. My friend and I rode from Madison Wi to Lake Tomahawk, WI in one day last year. 370 miles of nothing but groomed trails and loved everything about it. When I say groomed trails, I am seriously talking about tabletop conditions the entire ride. The sled has a really comfy riding position, I am 5'8" and I do have the Tall windy from Yamaha. The handlebar warmers do suck, my hands never got cold but they were never hot either, I have the Klim Klimate Gloves and they do a nice job. I did just buy the Yamaheater from Rockmeister and am looking to have hot hands this winter. You do have to work on the sled more than a traditional sit down sled, but that is part of the fun!
Woody

Back