• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

nytro starter problems

jayden84

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 yamaha sidewinder xtx se
have a 08 nytro, have cooked 2 starters. relay is good, 1 way bearing in the case is good. only thing i can see is that the heated shield that was wired up on it (before me) is wired into the start wire, when you bump the key on and the shield is plugged in it keeps the contact open a bit and ruins the starter. both times the starter has gone it is within 15 min of the shield being plugged in. any thoughts

put 100 miles on in between starter changes and all was well, put another 60 miles on the next day all was well, pluged in the shield 3 miles later i was towing it home with a burnt up starter. same case on the first starter.i just got the sled this season

I think it's time to remove the connection to the heated shield through the starter wire then. Hook it up to the accessory wiring if it's there and if not, hook it direct to the battery with an inline fuse.

At least this way, you'll eliminate the theory that it's the shield causing the toasted starters.

I understand your pain..I had to have everything involved with the starter replaced last season...not cheap.

wired the shield direct to the battery, with fuse. just waiting for the next starter to come to try it. this is all i can think it could be, the wires are all good ,relay is good

turns out it was the shield wire, after 2 starters i really wish the guy i got the sled from did not wire that up himself,lol

We changed a starter on my friends 08 in december and yesturday we went to go riding and its done again.This is 2 starters in a few months and there is no heated sheild in this sled.The new starter is aftermarket cause it is alot cheaper and has warranty so we get a new one.The guy said that the magnets are epoxyed to the case and came loose and jammed the starter.I wonder what else could cause these starters to keep goin,it is simple battery to relay to starter...anyone have any ideas ?

canuk77 said:
We changed a starter on my friends 08 in december and yesturday we went to go riding and its done again.This is 2 starters in a few months and there is no heated sheild in this sled.The new starter is aftermarket cause it is alot cheaper and has warranty so we get a new one.The guy said that the magnets are epoxyed to the case and came loose and jammed the starter.I wonder what else could cause these starters to keep goin,it is simple battery to relay to starter...anyone have any ideas ?

Do you have any accessory tapped into a wire at the start relay for power?
It can cause the starter to run after the key returns to the RUN position. This is how I cooked mine.

He bought the sled used and he has no other accessory tapped into it that i know,and i do all his work for him.But i will look and make sure that there is isn't one hiding.Also this is the first year that this sled is been kept outside all the time and now it has had some issues...

Ok so here is an update, we got sled into warms shop and 1hr later it fired up.So it looks like the starter was frozen,we gave it 12v before and it would not turn over at all...this yamy is not likin the cold here....

canuk77 said:
Ok so here is an update, we got sled into warms shop and 1hr later it fired up.So it looks like the starter was frozen,we gave it 12v before and it would not turn over at all...this yamy is not likin the cold here....

go to the dealer and get the updated relays from the 2011 model year, they have been changed so they are now sealed up better and not supposed to let water into them freezing them up like what happened in your case.

the relays are in the front of the sled on the left side (looking at the front), they are push pined to the front frame there are 4 of them, you really only need to replace the fuel pump relay if you dont care about the headlight,etc ones freezing up.

This wasn't a relay issue,the machine would not turn over at all.All you got was a high pitch whinning noise,it was the same symtoms as when the starter went the first time.Usually when its a relay it cranks over but wont start,but we are gona get updated relays.

I have a nytro here that just clicks when you turn the key,it has had 2 starters now and looks like it needs another.We jumped the selenoid and not even get a spark,got 12.7 volts on battery side and 3v on the other.I tried a selenoid from my nytro and just clicks,battery is good so looks like another starter for this nytro.

Hey guys,
thought i would chime in as i also replaced 2 starters last year.
My Install thread and tips below: http://www.ty4stroke.com/threads/starter-replacement.126998/

My advise is to get a starter saver from Grizz. I went this route last year and it is great and cheap insurance. No issues and easy to tell if your starter is still going. Very simple install as well. I just revisited this issue again last night looking for a power drain and it saved me again.

Good luck!

Back