• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Nytro, Viper SR or Sidewinder

2stroken

Expert
Hello, I am kind of in the market for another snowmobile. In years past I have had a SRX and a piped VMAX700. I really don't need the speed that either of those provided so I moved to a Phazer MTX. It is a fun sled, we maybe ride 500 miles a year. In shopping it seems I can get into a Nytro for just a little more than the phazer, and I can move into the Viper SR for a little more again. We plan to ride primarily in the Lower, but might venture the UP again depending on kid's schedules. So that being said what are folks opinions of the sleds I have mentioned.

All depends on your budget. You can pick up Nytro's $2,500 - 4,000, Vipers $5,000 - 7,000, and Sidewinders $10,000 - 12,000. All I can tell you is the Nytro is a lot of sled for the money. Last year I bought an 08' and went thru is completely and replaced all wear parts and did a bunch of mods. I have like $4,000 into it total and its like a new custom Nytro with 7,000 miles on it. All I can say is dont shy away from the 08's. I am running stock front end components and I like the way it handles and rides. G.B.

All depends on your budget. You can pick up Nytro's $2,500 - 4,000, Vipers $5,000 - 7,000, and Sidewinders $10,000 - 12,000. All I can tell you is the Nytro is a lot of sled for the money. Last year I bought an 08' and went thru is completely and replaced all wear parts and did a bunch of mods. I have like $4,000 into it total and its like a new custom Nytro with 7,000 miles on it. All I can say is dont shy away from the 08's. I am running stock front end components and I like the way it handles and rides. G.B.
Thanks for the reply, I am really thinking that maybe the Nytro or Viper would be what I would prefer to spend. Kind of a question of is there really a noticeable difference between the viper and the nytro? Aren't the Vipers all AC designed chassis? How are they holding up?

I own a Viper MTX 16'. I think Vipers are way easier to ride. The difference lies in the suspension and the AC chassis. Nytros are stronger but heavier. The Vipers AC parts are soft but much lighter. I've bent my spindles and an a-arm and broken the rails, just from sliding over drift wood. In my opinion an 08' Nytro is as strongly recommended as a new Viper. But I bet you'd pick the Viper over a Nytro if you were to test them. Sidewinder is like buying a luxury Benz when all you need is an old car that runs.

I own a Viper MTX 16'. I think Vipers are way easier to ride. The difference lies in the suspension and the AC chassis. Nytros are stronger but heavier. The Vipers AC parts are soft but much lighter. I've bent my spindles and an a-arm and broken the rails, just from sliding over drift wood. In my opinion an 08' Nytro is as strongly recommended as a new Viper. But I bet you'd pick the Viper over a Nytro if you were to test them. Sidewinder is like buying a luxury Benz when all you need is an old car that runs.

I have seen friends with Cat's just throw parts at them. So maybe the Nytro is the way to go for me?

I have seen friends with Cat's just throw parts at them. So maybe the Nytro is the way to go for me?
Maybe. Do you stick to the trails?

Maybe. Do you stick to the trails?
Not so much, but I basically took an 2000 SRX with a long travel front/rear and a set of mountain ski's pretty much anywhere I needed. Granted I had to be careful to not stop facing up on a hill. I assume you are saying the Nytro is heavy?

I like my Phazer MTX, It is pretty twitchy on the trails though.

Oh you'll see the Viper handles better off trail, but it's also the best option on trail because of comfort/steering. And it's not like you'll break something from snow bumps.
The Nytro isn't that much heavier, it just feels alot heavier to handle it. A Viper is an entirely remodeled Nytro made to handle better, and weight distribution is improved. I'm glad I picked the Viper, the comfort just feels worth the parts I had to change (over the long time I've had it). If you can afford a Viper I think you should go for it.
Are you putting a turbo in it?

Oh you'll see the Viper handles better off trail, but it's also the best option on trail because of comfort/steering. And it's not like you'll break something from snow bumps.
The Nytro isn't that much heavier, it just feels alot heavier to handle it. A Viper is an entirely remodeled Nytro made to handle better, and weight distribution is improved. I'm glad I picked the Viper, the comfort just feels worth the parts I had to change (over the long time I've had it). If you can afford a Viper I think you should go for it.
Are you putting a turbo in it?

I am passed the need for power stage. I mean I have a phazer MTX now LOL What parts have you had to change?

Had to change both spindles (bent) , one top a-arm (bent), switched both rails to Ice Age (both broke on the top rib in the front somehow). Changed the skis to have more control in deep powder. I've also upgraded other stock parts for fun. Oh and the stock snowflap got eaten at one point so new one there.

Been around all three of the choices you are considering

The sr chassis by far out handles a nytro - whether it be a viper or sw.

the viper has had a ton of teething issues , mainly with the ecu. It seems like by 2018 they have that licked. The sw had it right from the start. But it is a more complicated system with the turbo. All sr chassis sleds have things you have to be aware of. Plenty of that documented here. Leaky oil tanks, drive shaft slipping on bearing, etc. Working on these sleds is far more complicated. A one hour job on a nytro is a 3 hr job on sw.

The nytro was made to come apart and be maintained. The cat guys did have this in mind with the sr chassis.

Ms

Nytro XTX or Vector XTX with 1,75 backcountry track, you can't go wrong.

I have two Vipers and a Sidewinder, and I apologize if I am speaking from ignorance regarding the Nytro because I have never owned one. That being said, there is no way around the fact that the Nytro is "old tech," and that it never lived up to its billing. Yamaha gave up on the Nytro, long before it stopped building Vectors, Apexes and Phazers, and I suspect that there was probably a reason for that. The Pro Cross chassis is a more modern design, and by many accounts, it has the best front end in the business. The rear end may not be at a par with "R-Motion" or Axys sleds, but properly set up, they are pretty close, and they ride and handle like a dream. Until Yamaha comes out with something better on its own, you can't beat the Yamacats.

Wanted a Nytro and ended up with a Phazer back in 09’ just because I didn’t like the Nytro’s heavy front feel at all and the Phazer was a ton easier to throw around. I could have Bought a brand new 13’ Nytro for the same price as my slightly used Dealer demo 14’ Viper but liked the Viper a lot more. My Phazer is still easier to throw around off-Trail but Viper is SO much better on the trails.

I have had both the Nytro and Viper and put 5000+ miles on each. When it comes to the following this is how I would rank them:
1. Handling = Viper
2. Ride comfort = Viper
3. On trail choice = Viper
4. Off trail choice = Viper
5. pull and top speed = Nytro
6. Reliability = they are equal expect when it comes to bearings. The Viper eats bearing every year even though I go through them every spring
7. Mileage = Nytro
8. Cold Weather riding = VIPER!!!!!!!!
9. Handle bar controls = Nytro
I had to do a lot to my '08 Nytro to make it handle and it does not come close to how a stock Viper handles.
If you are going to get a Nytro I would suggest the OFT steering relocate, '14 Viper skis with Stud Boy 9" dual carbides on single host bar (the Nytro Tuner ski's SUCK!!!!), Ulmer front end bushing kit, clutch kit by your favorite clutch kit provider, tunnel block off kit, Barn of Part mechanical power steering, updated front ball joints, Barn of parts preload adjuster blocks and the tallest windshield you can find

Last edited:

Back