• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

NYTRO XTX Which Studs, Which pattern, and HOW MANY???

srx88

Looking to order studs tomorrow for a stock sled. Future simple mods like clutch kit and exhaust may need to be considered...

Has 144 1.25 ripsaw. Sled has 0 miles.....

Really looking at the StudBoy Superlite pro series backers... Doubles and Singles with stainless powerpoints.

Has anybody used these backers with Woodys Megabites? Can they be used together??? seems like a sweet combo???

How many and what pattern are you guys using???

Is anyone extrememly happy or dissapointed with a choice they made?

This is my firsy 4stroke and have been riding a modded SRX for the last 6 years. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Have you considered a different track as opposed to studding the stock one? Maybe a prestudded one? I just put the Backcountry track on mine and am much happier with it. I studded my 02 Viper 121" with 144 studs for good hook up on trails and such but look back and wish I wouldn't have. Don't get me wrong studs have their place and I ride a fair amount of trails but they add too much weight for off trail and are hard on the track. I hated the traction the ripsaw track had on the Nytro XTX but couldn't phathom the idea of putting studs on a sled I wanna play off trail with as much as possible. Just my opinion but thought I would throw it out there anyways. There are plenty of people who have studded theirs and seem to like it. I just couldn't justify more weight and more risk to suspension components and track. Again just my 0.02, take it with a grain of salt.

I hear every bit of what you are saying.... Not in the budget to replace the track, and the studs are more for safety... We ride mostly lower MI and little in the UP.. Most riding is on "groomed" LOL trails.... if you call them that.... Also cross a lot of lakes and like the bite when the ice isnt snow coverd....

Understandable especially on the safety side, I do most of my riding around Gaylord area or up in Grand Marais and try to avoid lakes as I prefer finding the deeper stuff to play in. To each their own though. For what you will have into studs you could likely buy a track instead and sell your ripsaw and not be far off cost wise unless you got a good deal on studs. Snow City has a good deal on the Backcountry right now. Just throwing some ideas out there as I know what if feels like to do something and then think back and wish you would of thought of something else sooner. I'm sure there will be others that will offer up more advice on the stud side of things. :yam:

Either way we need to keep hoping for a better winter, I should have much more riding in by now.... This lack of snow has been killing me.

I'm running the Woody's mega bites on my xtx. I have 3 studs per section for a total of 168 or 171. I also like them for the safety reasons

Farm Dog, I ran the the Stud boy Superlite doubles (just the regular ones) with Woody's studs on my viper with no pulls or tears. I think you're fine mixing stud companies and washer companies as everything is a standard size.
The pattern for me was already set as I installed a pre drilled track. But it was a 121 track, 144 studs and went 2 doubles, 2 singles repeated. All studs were in the center, nothing outside the windows. HP between the 2 sleds is close, so I would do whatever 144 studs works out to in a 144" track

Opps sorry you're the op! I'm just running the standard backers, didn't realise the pro-series had "built-in" nuts. However, as long as the threads are the same on both the studs and backers, I don't think you'll have an issue. The studs you're looking at have 5/16" threads. I can't find the thread size for the backers but I would think its the same. Don't quote me on that though.

I think you are right.... i was hoping someone has already used the combo and had some input....

Anyone out there wanna share what they are running???? tons of views, few posts....

143 studs in a 144" is a 2/3/2/3 pattern with the last lug being 2/3/2/2/3/2/3. That's the stud pattern I'm running. I am going to add more studs though. Spins too much. Plus you cant stud too close to the center cause of the shock rub issue, so you are really limited as to how much area you have to stud, if you are only doing the center. I had them all in the center, but i pulled the third stud out, and moved it to the outside. Traction improved drastically. Now I'm adding a forth stud to the outside, and will have a 2/4/2/4/2/4 pattern. Also, i am using the Woodys Grand Master 1.450" studs. They are made for single ply tracks, like the XTX has.

SRX88, if your track is a single ply track, I don't think you can run double backer washers. The heads on the studs for the single ply studs are larger and they won't fit close enough together for a double backer.

I think you guys are right about the single ply.... I love this website... However my buddy is pissed right now.. We bought these together... he studded his with megabites.... had some left from his apex and ordered some more to finish the job. Do you think they will pull out or damage the track? it seems like the difference is the head size on the the acutal stud... Woodys also uses a certain backer for their single ply stud...

This is going to get complicated. Its shot time now with beer chasers!!!

SRXSRULE2 said:
SRX88, if your track is a single ply track, I don't think you can run double backer washers. The heads on the studs for the single ply studs are larger and they won't fit close enough together for a double backer.

Woodys makes a double backer for the Grand Master studs. But like SRXSRULE2 said, double backers for regular studs wont work.

Back