• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Octane Additives???

Not very scientific, but the ones that smell like alcohol works. Others don't. At least removing knock on my big bore harley trike.

2014 viper, mpi
2009 Phazer 144"

I think Torko is race fuel concentrate?
Yes im aware of torco being advertised as a race fuel concentrate.
What i was wondering was has anyone used race-gas.
Below is cut and pasted from the race gas-gas website.
As you would expect they claim to be the best, bla bla bla. Looking for some real world feedback from real people.

WHEN SOMEONE REFERS TO A "POINT OF OCTANE" WHAT SPECIFICALLY DO THEY MEAN?
The scale of octane is a point of confusion for even seasoned motor sports enthusiasts and is a very important issue when evaluating octane enhancement products. A point of octane is 1/10 of an octane number. For example if you increase the octane of 87 pump gas by 8 "points" you are increasing the octane to 87.8. Many consumers see products on the shelf that promise to raise the octane by "10 points" and think that it will raise the octane by 10 octane numbers. That is not the case. Other suppliers rely on this confusion to sell their products. Don't be fooled!

HOW IS RACE GAS DIFFERENT THAN OCTANE BOOST PRODUCTS?
First, octane boosters only add a few points of octane and cannot raise the octane of pump gas to that of racing fuel. What many people don't know is that a point of octane is 1/10 of an octane number. For example, if an octane booster says it raises octane by 9 points and it is blended with 87 octane fuel the final octane number will be 87.9 not 96.

Second, octane boosters will raise the octane they don't increase the chemical energy of pump gas. This is because they are not adding the high quality fuel aromatics that are used in RACE GAS. As a result your engine will not "ping" but it will not generate as much power as it would using RACE GAS.

Yes im aware of torco being advertised as a race fuel concentrate.
What i was wondering was has anyone used race-gas.
Below is cut and pasted from the race gas-gas website.
As you would expect they claim to be the best, bla bla bla. Looking for some real world feedback from real people.

WHEN SOMEONE REFERS TO A "POINT OF OCTANE" WHAT SPECIFICALLY DO THEY MEAN?
The scale of octane is a point of confusion for even seasoned motor sports enthusiasts and is a very important issue when evaluating octane enhancement products. A point of octane is 1/10 of an octane number. For example if you increase the octane of 87 pump gas by 8 "points" you are increasing the octane to 87.8. Many consumers see products on the shelf that promise to raise the octane by "10 points" and think that it will raise the octane by 10 octane numbers. That is not the case. Other suppliers rely on this confusion to sell their products. Don't be fooled!

HOW IS RACE GAS DIFFERENT THAN OCTANE BOOST PRODUCTS?
First, octane boosters only add a few points of octane and cannot raise the octane of pump gas to that of racing fuel. What many people don't know is that a point of octane is 1/10 of an octane number. For example, if an octane booster says it raises octane by 9 points and it is blended with 87 octane fuel the final octane number will be 87.9 not 96.

Second, octane boosters will raise the octane they don't increase the chemical energy of pump gas. This is because they are not adding the high quality fuel aromatics that are used in RACE GAS. As a result your engine will not "ping" but it will not generate as much power as it would using RACE GAS.

Now thats some good info!!

Shellbourne fuels/D&D have an additive that they've done a lot of dyno testing with and seems as tho it has the potential to be a real good product. I know one of the dyno tests they did was with a sled that still had older summer gas in it, with knock sensors on the engine the summer gas showed there was engine detonation, after the additive there was no detonation. Not sure what the additive actually gains in octane rating but it cures bad gas which is all it needs to do, if you have an engine application that needs race fuel then absolutely buy the race fuel rather than relying on an additive.

I have thought about octane tester's and looked at a few on the Internet. Has any one tried any tester's, if so are they reliable?

I have a friend that was the supervisor of the Cadillac emmissions test facility. He was there during the years that Cadillac Engineering was building race cars and then taking them out on weekends and street racing them with great success.

He had a 70 Cadillac coupe deville with 12.5 to 1 compression ratio and it was a pre no lead engine. His solution was premium with aviation gas. He claimed it was much better than race gas in that he used significantly less aviation fuel to eliminate detonation. Michigan has 93 octane fuel available at many pumps so he was mixing about 18 gallons 93 octane unleaded with 5-6 gallons of Av gas. With 106 racing fuel it was a 50-50 mix of race and 93 unleaded.

He could buy the Av gas at a small airport near his cottage in central Michigan. But had to buy race gas in the Detroit area. Bigger airports would not sell it to him. Just another option in a pinch! He used to carry a 6 gallon can with him when he travelled with the Cadillac!

I am going to try Aces 4 fuel treatment. I was introduced to it up in NY when at Excell's grass drags. It's an octane booster, detergent, end lubricant, and also treats fuel to preserve it. A simple demonstration on the bottom of a soda can is what sold me. The gentleman poured some onto the bottom of a soda can. It broke down the date code inked on the bottom of the can. He then lit it on fire so it could burn. As it burned it released oxygen bubbles. When it was finished burning the remains were a light clean oil. No sign of the ink code and no soot. Below is from the web.

In 87 Octane fuel ACES Gasoline Treatment has more ignition improver to raise 87 to 96 Octane effect, 89 produces 98 effect, and in 93 Octane fuel, effects of 102 Octane are attained. Any base fuel, when treated, will help eliminate cylinder detonation and produce added power. The byproduct of burning ACES Gasoline Treatment is that it produces 5 times the synthetic cylinder lubricant to reduce bore, ring & valve wear by up to 600% and valve recession by 360%. It contains a safe high detergent fuel injector/carburetor cleaner, and a fuel system conditioner all in one product! Average fuel mileage will be increased as high as 14% while reducing emissions dramatically.

I am going to try Aces 4 fuel treatment. I was introduced to it up in NY when at Excell's grass drags. It's an octane booster, detergent, end lubricant, and also treats fuel to preserve it. A simple demonstration on the bottom of a soda can is what sold me. The gentleman poured some onto the bottom of a soda can. It broke down the date code inked on the bottom of the can. He then lit it on fire so it could burn. As it burned it released oxygen bubbles. When it was finished burning the remains were a light clean oil. No sign of the ink code and no soot. Below is from the web.

In 87 Octane fuel ACES Gasoline Treatment has more ignition improver to raise 87 to 96 Octane effect, 89 produces 98 effect, and in 93 Octane fuel, effects of 102 Octane are attained. Any base fuel, when treated, will help eliminate cylinder detonation and produce added power. The byproduct of burning ACES Gasoline Treatment is that it produces 5 times the synthetic cylinder lubricant to reduce bore, ring & valve wear by up to 600% and valve recession by 360%. It contains a safe high detergent fuel injector/carburetor cleaner, and a fuel system conditioner all in one product! Average fuel mileage will be increased as high as 14% while reducing emissions dramatically.

Sounds interesting.
Was also looking at vp fuels octanium.
Looks like theres more and more options becoming available nowadays for getting a good octane boost when you are miles deep in the woods and cant get high octane fuel.

Keep us posted on what you think of it after you try it

I have race-gas additive in my turbo nytro right now. It does work but it takes a lot and it ends up being more expensive than race fuel from the pump. It would be a lot better carrying that with you if you're stuck with only 87 somewhere. The other octane boosters you buy at auto parts stores are basically worthless. When they say it adds 5 to 7 points of octane it means if you're running 87 and you mix it in, now you'll have 87.5 or 87.7 octane. ...

I have race-gas additive in my turbo nytro right now. It does work but it takes a lot and it ends up being more expensive than race fuel from the pump. It would be a lot better carrying that with you if you're stuck with only 87 somewhere. The other octane boosters you buy at auto parts stores are basically worthless. When they say it adds 5 to 7 points of octane it means if you're running 87 and you mix it in, now you'll have 87.5 or 87.7 octane. ...

good to hear you like the race-gas. Looking for some real world feedback on it.
Im looking into the evo reflash with headder and can but getting the proper fuel in the woods of maine can be a real task.
This looks like an expensive but viable solution to that issue.
Its good to have options

nobody mentioned the best one??? BOOSTANE - check it on u tube - supposed to be the best, comes in a steel container like it should, all the power boaters use it, when im on E - 6 ounces per 5 gallons for 100 o is my recipe for a 12 psi boosted trail nytro.

Back