• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil and fuel

I have an 03 RX1 with 2500 miles on it. This is only my second season with it and I am FLYING through the oil. I use Yamalube synthetic and am good about making sure it is full. I read some earlier posts about keeping the level on "E" because of the tank height but was wondering if that means you run it with the oil light on??? I have always thought that would be bad... It is not leaking that I can see and the sleds behind me don't complain of headaches from over burning..... WHERE IS IT GOING? ? ?

An example of how bad it is.....I filled the oil to full level and after about 250 miles, maybe a little less, the oil light came on and that makes me nervous!!

Two other random questions......What do you all think of AMSOIL and what do you guys .... and girls ..... run for fuel in your sleds?

87 octane for the fuel. i am running yamalube semi synthetic in mine. as mine is on its last year of warentee i will probably switch it over to amsoil or royal purple synthetic.

have you checked the oil tanks for cracks?
have you tried ringfree or seafoam in the oil or gas?

i would try seafoam in the gas 1st and see if that helps. sounds like you have one with stuck rings.

maim said:
87 octane for the fuel. i am running yamalube semi synthetic in mine. as mine is on its last year of warentee i will probably switch it over to amsoil or royal purple synthetic.

have you checked the oil tanks for cracks?
have you tried ringfree or seafoam in the oil or gas?

i would try seafoam in the gas 1st and see if that helps. sounds like you have one with stuck rings.

I will try the seafoam and check again for cracks. I found no cracks or leaks when I looked...

try with the right side lower panel off for the tank leak. an easyer way would be put a fresh peice of cardboard under it. if it has no spots even after a warm-up to running temp, it is probably burning it.

I have an 03 RX1 with 2500 miles on it. This is only my second season with it and I am FLYING through the oil. I use Yamalube synthetic and am good about making sure it is full. I read some earlier posts about keeping the level on "E" because of the tank height but was wondering if that means you run it with the oil light on??? I have always thought that would be bad... It is not leaking that I can see and the sleds behind me don't complain of headaches from over burning..... WHERE IS IT GOING? ? ?

An example of how bad it is.....I filled the oil to full level and after about 250 miles, maybe a little less, the oil light came on and that makes me nervous!!

Two other random questions......What do you all think of AMSOIL and what do you guys .... and girls ..... run for fuel in your sleds?
I have the same sled and I went 65kms today and it was just below the F when I left and at the E when I came back. Makes me nervous too. I never let the light come one though! I don't really trust idiot lights I figure once the light comes on it might be too late.

I run Amsoil 0-40 in my sleds, I think there is nothing wrong with it. As for the oil burning the 03's where know for it. Try some seafoam or Yamaha ring free and see if it helps. Most of Oil is probably going by the oil rings and being burnt. Some is going into the crankcase from blowby and turning into oil mist that gets sucked into the airbox and burnt but it will collect on the bottom and drip out the small drain hose.

My 05 if rode hard with long full throttle pulls would dump a bit into the airbox but touring it lost little.

Back