• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

oil capacity at oil change

LM7800

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 viper ltx LE sold
Just changed engine oil and the spec sheet that came with sled said 4Qt capacity, so put 4 in and oil is way over sight gauge. anyone else have this happen? don't really want to drain any and make a big mess again

Put in 3 litres, when hot was near top of sight glass. Sheet in oil change kit said 3.2 litres. Did not measure but looked like about 3 litres in waste oil jug.

I put 3 1/3 in when i changed. I did let it drain for a long time.

The drain on the oil tank was not a great design... but easier to do than my old APEX so thumbs up on that from me!

it would have been nice if there was a plug in body below oil tank to drain.

is it possible to drill a hole in belly pan directly beneath the drain plug and use a rubber plug to seal it up after. would make it a lot easier for future oil changes.

I made a funnel out a plastic water bottle, cut the end off on an angle, no mess.

LM7800 said:
Just changed engine oil and the spec sheet that came with sled said 4Qt capacity, so put 4 in and oil is way over sight gauge. anyone else have this happen? don't really want to drain any and make a big mess again

Your right, what a mess. I simply added a little more that 3 quarts till I saw the level in the window, then started it and let run for about 10 seconds so it settled into the new oil filter. Then added more oil to the middle of the window, started again and watched to make sure the level in the middle of the window remained perfect, done! ;)!

Guys it is a simple oil change Waaaaaaay easier than the 4st Yamahas I have done.

Remove the stirrup on right side,cut a 1qt bottle as so and drain it into a pan,do same for engine.
Replace the plugs and filter
Add oil till half up sight glass
Start it and run a few minutes
Shut it off
Let it sit for 3 minutes
Fill to halfway on sight glass
Mine used about 3 3/4 qts or so.

Does not matter amount if between 3-4 qts just get it in sight glass as stated

Attachments

• DSC00603.JPG
    DSC00603.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 1,850
  • DSC00602.JPG
    DSC00602.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 3,008
cannondale27 said:
Guys it is a simple oil change Waaaaaaay easier than the 4st Yamahas I have done.

Remove the stirrup on right side,cut a 1qt bottle as so and drain it into a pan,do same for engine.
Replace the plugs and filter
Add oil till half up sight glass
Start it and run a few minutes
Shut it off
Let it sit for 3 minutes
Fill to halfway on sight glass
Mine used about 3 3/4 qts or so.

Does not matter amount if between 3-4 qts just get it in sight glass as stated

Yes I agree it is very simple! Don't go by any specific amount because they will all be different. I filled mine back up until it just covered the entire sight glass. Started it up and let it idle for 30 seconds so it could cycle then shut it off and filled it until the oil level was halfway in the sight. Hasn't moved from that halfway mark at all. Just go by the sight glass that is what it's there for.

Yes I agree it is very simple! Don't go by any specific amount because they will all be different. I filled mine back up until it just covered the entire sight glass. Started it up and let it idle for 30 seconds so it could cycle then shut it off and filled it until the oil level was halfway in the sight. Hasn't moved from that halfway mark at all. Just go by the sight glass that is what it's there for.
How about the oil filter,can you attach a file to show how to remove the filter?

How about the oil filter,can you attach a file to show how to remove the filter?
I am doing mine shortly and will take a pic for you. Honestly it's so simple that's the reason no pics etc. Nothing to worry about except the engine drain screw. Yes it's a little Allen screw. Some people don't bother draining the engine since so little is in there. I do it all every year. Filter,tank and engine.

I am doing mine shortly and will take a pic for you. Honestly it's so simple that's the reason no pics etc. Nothing to worry about except the engine drain screw. Yes it's a little Allen screw. Some people don't bother draining the engine since so little is in there. I do it all every year. Filter,tank and engine.

That drain screw in the bottom of the engine holds about 1/3 of a quart, Its a bit more then most guys realize. So its worth draining out.

Last edited:

Back