• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil/filter change & chain case oil change in 08 Vector?

the drain plug for the bottom of the engine is a 5mm allen in the center of the sump area. there is an arrow cast into the pan locating it and a copper washer under the head.

Dealer told me to only add 3 qts of oil with oil change and filter change. Have done that for 3000 miles and have no problem. They told me if you add more than 3 qts. you will have a oily problem in air box. :o|

Thanks for the info; I'll probably top it up closer to the H and end up around 3 liters or slightly better as indicated. Thanks for pointing out the location of the CHC as well...never would have found it (but doesn't sound like there's a need to, really).

Irv said:
Elypsis said:
Changed my oil today...a few questions:

1. Where is the cylinder head cap? It said to remove it to help drain the oil however I couldn't locate it and ended up just using the drain plugs on the bottom of the oil tank and the crankcase.

2. Man, that oil filter is one hard S.O.B to get off! Wrestled with mine for about half an hour with a filter wrench before using the old screwdriver through the filter trick...after that it was literally 2 minutes. Anyone else have fun with theirs?

3. I dumped in about 2.5 litres, ran the sled for 5 minutes until I felt the oil tank getting warm, then shut down and checked the oil level...was between H and L so I left it as is. Was expecting to use more oil for some reason, especially after the filter change. Did I run the sled long enough?

4. I poured in the new oil into the oil tank only...should I also have put the new oil in somewhere else? Still hung up about not finding the cylinder head cap (see item 1). :)

Thanks in advance folks...you sure make finding answers easy.
Cylinder head cap is under the cover between the handle bars and windshield, not necessary to add oil there and is not req'd for venting purposes imo.

I can see the factory oil filter being tight, just be sure when replacing it to put some oil the rubber o-ring before reinstalling.

I always try and get my oil as close to the full mark as possible, a little extra oil, or closer to the full mark than half up the dip stick is better imo.

I have added all my oil to the tank only, read lots of posts on here from others who do the same.

I did an oil change on my 2010 RS LTX (500 mile) for the first time. I followed the manual which calls for the head plug to be removed. I added 1 qt to back in thru the head and 2.2 qt's in the tank and ran it for just a short while because I was inside a shop. I had to add more oil to get it up on the XX marks.
It would be nice not to have to pull the head plug but the manual says to doesn't it? It seems to take a while to pump oil around the motor when fully drained. This is true on my Attak as well.

Back