• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil filter longevity.

brmurph

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 APEX XTX
I know there has been a lot of discussion on when to replace the oil filter and most seem to replace yearly or every other year, but how long is too long to use the same filter? has anyone continued to use the same filter for years do to low mileage? I am probably coming up on 5 years on my filter but only about 1000 miles or so. If I wait the 12000 miles the manual says that will probably be the lifetime of the sled :). I guess I am more worried about the filter starting to deteriorate. Anybody else use the same filter for years? I live in Texas and only get to ride a week or two a year at our cabin in Minnesota, otherwise I would replace it more often, I do change oil yearly. Am I the only one:)?

Short answer, yes, you are the only one (smile)
Short question, when will you be selling that low mileage XTX? I just crossed 13,000 on mine, and I live in Minnesota. If you let me store and use it, I will do your oil changes for free. Deal?

I don’t mind doing maintenance as I haul this thing to Texas every other year to maintain it. If I recall correctly the new oil filter was installed in March of 2018 so this is actually its 4th year. Last time I ran the sled was pre-covid (stayed home 2021) and changed oil only in March of 2020 (oil filter was only 2 years old which seemed reasonable). I did have the machine in Texas this year but since the oil was just changed in 2020 (with no miles since) I did not change it again or obviously change the oil filter. Long story short Its now been 4 years on the same filter (because of Covid :). In retrospect maybe I should have changed the filter this year (starting to feel guilty) hence the question if anyone has run their filter for more then just a couple of years or longer, willing to admit it and any issues doing that (there must be someone :)??

I bought the sled used in 2018 with I believe was 6500 miles, so not really a low mileage machine. The interesting thing is somehow the ODO reset to approximately 1500 miles a while after I bought it (no idea why) and now shows just over 2000 miles. I started to think I bought a low mileage machine but checked with the dealer that sold it to me and he said no way it was that low as he knew the original owner, he actually sold it to him. Technically who knows how many miles are on it but it has been a good machine and I hope to keep it for a while.

Thanks for the offer, I think I am good:).

I had my oil filter in for the past 2 years because the previous season was garbage, riding less than 1000km but still replaced the oil. The owners manual for my RS Venture GT says to replace the filter after 20k km (12k miles). Not sure what Yamaha's thinking is with such a long interval for the filter. So far this season, I have ridden about 3k km and plan to replace the filter with the oil. My manual says to replace the oil seasonally or after 4k km.

Change the filter with the oil at the end of the season to be sure all your oil is new while it sits in storage. Oil and filter are cheap compared to an engine.

The thing with the odometer is apparently common with some sleds where it gets confused between KM and miles measurements. Mine hasn't done that except maybe my trip meter resetting itself but mine stays in KM all the time.

I know there has been a lot of discussion on when to replace the oil filter and most seem to replace yearly or every other year, but how long is too long to use the same filter? has anyone continued to use the same filter for years do to low mileage? I am probably coming up on 5 years on my filter but only about 1000 miles or so. If I wait the 12000 miles the manual says that will probably be the lifetime of the sled :). I guess I am more worried about the filter starting to deteriorate. Anybody else use the same filter for years? I live in Texas and only get to ride a week or two a year at our cabin in Minnesota, otherwise I would replace it more often, I do change oil yearly. Am I the only one:)...

Back