• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil and Filter Change

MNSledder

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Apex
Hi, TY4Strokers. I recently purchased a 2006 Apex. This will mainly be my wife's sled, but I plan to enjoy it also. First repair I had to do before any extended riding was to replace the non-existent exhaust donuts and weld up a crack in one pipe. It sounds nice now, with no backfiring. After several other minor repairs, I took it out for the first ride. It runs very nicely, has smooth power, and has a good ride. We will keep it!
The seller claimed it had an oil change approx. 1500 miles back, but I wanted to start fresh. After reading a multitude of posts on this site, I was wondering what I was getting into. But, everything went really well. Start to finish was about 90 minutes for oil and filter, with extra time spent noting hose hookups and wiring, and cleaning acorns and leaves out. All of which will make it easier next time.
Next project, clutches.
Thanks for all the tips on this site. Also, thanks for the generally pleasant tone here, making it much more relaxing to browse the forums than many other sites.

Ride often! Ride right!

Hi, TY4Strokers. I recently purchased a 2006 Apex. This will mainly be my wife's sled, but I plan to enjoy it also. First repair I had to do before any extended riding was to replace the non-existent exhaust donuts and weld up a crack in one pipe. It sounds nice now, with no backfiring. After several other minor repairs, I took it out for the first ride. It runs very nicely, has smooth power, and has a good ride. We will keep it!
The seller claimed it had an oil change approx. 1500 miles back, but I wanted to start fresh. After reading a multitude of posts on this site, I was wondering what I was getting into. But, everything went really well. Start to finish was about 90 minutes for oil and filter, with extra time spent noting hose hookups and wiring, and cleaning acorns and leaves out. All of which will make it easier next time.
Next project, clutches.
Thanks for all the tips on this site. Also, thanks for the generally pleasant tone here, making it much more relaxing to browse the forums than many other sites.

Ride often! Ride right!
Awesome!! Great job!

Minnesota work ethic right there! Nice work.

The feeling of relief after knowing the oil and filter are good is worth the hassle of that first oil change on an Apex. (be glad it's not a phazer) Now that you have done it, you will have a rhythm for the next time.

How many miles on the sled? Both my my apex's didn't need any real clutch work till well over 12,000 miles. Just the normal cleaning, scotch brite pads and brakleen to the sheave surfaces. And possibly those wear items on the ramps.

After 12,000, the 07 had a crack in the primary sheeve. And after 13,000, the '12 has similar hairline cracks with the high probability of grenading. Thunder Products did the repair, and blasting of my primary and secondary. They are now buttery smooth and worth the investment made in them. Mine was actually sticking on takeoff when cold. They are as good or better than new now.

Time to put the next 13,000 on them.

Good luck! Welcome to the Blue-Bleeders group!

Minnesota work ethic right there! Nice work.

The feeling of relief after knowing the oil and filter are good is worth the hassle of that first oil change on an Apex. (be glad it's not a phazer) Now that you have done it, you will have a rhythm for the next time.

How many miles on the sled? Both my my apex's didn't need any real clutch work till well over 12,000 miles. Just the normal cleaning, scotch brite pads and brakleen to the sheave surfaces. And possibly those wear items on the ramps.

After 12,000, the 07 had a crack in the primary sheeve. And after 13,000, the '12 has similar hairline cracks with the high probability of grenading. Thunder Products did the repair, and blasting of my primary and secondary. They are now buttery smooth and worth the investment made in them. Mine was actually sticking on takeoff when cold. They are as good or better than new now.

Time to put the next 13,000 on them.

Good luck! Welcome to the Blue-Bleeders group!
Only 5000 miles, but I believe it was always stored outside. Very little wear, but corrosion from the elements. For now, I disassembled them and polished the wear surfaces. Also changed to the soft start primary spring. Engagement and shifting are much improved. It was quite harsh at first. I put a little over 60 miles on it, over local trails and ditches to test it out before my wife rides it this weekend. I stopped to top off the tank before heading home and was happy it only took 3.9 gallons. I think it will do even better with all groomed trail miles. I did add gauntlets after the first ride. They worked out really well. Hands were warm and toasty today at -1F. There is no wind protection for the hands and I think the hood and windshield actually forces the air over the hands.

Thanks again for the warm welcome. BTW the trails are mint.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the warm welcome. BTW the trails are mint.

It's a good year for Minnesota. Southern MN should stop crying now, they have gotten shafted the last few years when we had it in the Northern half. This year, they have been getting shelled as well as Iowa.

What part of MN are you from?

It's a good year for Minnesota. Southern MN should stop crying now, they have gotten shafted the last few years when we had it in the Northern half. This year, they have been getting shelled as well as Iowa.

What part of MN are you from?
New London - Spicer area. South of St.cloud, North of Willmar. My usual local riding is Kandiyohi, Meeker, and Stearns counties.

Spent some time down there through the years. Wife has relatives in paynesville

Back