• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil tank breather. . . .Ok now I'm getting concerned. . . .

Ok - now coming into the 2nd riding season for my Nytro after using the "roll out" method of getting un-stuck several times last year I'm beginning to see alot more attention around the leaking oil breather "issue".

I've never had a problem to date and so I'm not sure if I'm just worring about nothing here but the recent article in SledHeads in which Alford felt compelled to have a "catch tank" installed for his oil breather on his new custom tube chassis Nytro leads me to believe that I should be perhaps paying a bit more attention to this matter.

Any thoughts out there?

Also - has anyone had an issue of the key coming out when the sled rolls?

After seeing this happen to Swenson in the last Thunderstruck film it's been just another thing that has me taking precautions when I'm not sure if I'll be able to control the roll and keep her from barreling down the fall line.

Thoughts on this?

I think your worrying a lot about not much...

I dont roll my sled out of stuck ever, but then I never did...

but it will definitely leak if upside down for more than 20 seconds...your probably just not seeing it, if you have stock breather lines etc. as it is going into your airbox...pull off your airbox, and take a look for oil...

20 seconds huh. . . . .sounds like unless I'm pausing for a sammy and a bowl of chowder I shouldn't be concerned. . . .also looks like an exit stage right would further help the situation based upon the pics on the oil breather valve set-up.

Hoping to someday add an "altitude compensator" which should help out in the running out of talent department when tight in the sticks. . . .

Thanks guys. . . .

Some guys roll'em more then others. Really depends on what kind of riding you do, and how aggressive of a rider you are.
I'm usually good for a lay-over stuck about every 2nd or 3rd ride!
Main guy I ride with, has only had it happen 2-3 times since he's owned his Phazer.
His first time was on a TY McCall ride 3 seasons ago. He layed it over and couldn't reach the kill switch in time. So it pumped out over 1 1/2 quarts of oil. We didn't have extra oil with us, we ended up draining a little bit of oil out of the other 4 stroke sleds. So we could get his oil light to go out. (Thanks Spray25).
It all worked out in the end, however it was kind of a PIA to deal with and took away riding time.
Had no oil leaked out, we would have just pulled his sled up and went on our way!

Ok - so letting it sit turned over is bad. . . . .leaving it sit turned over while running is worse. . . . .so how much oil could a guy possibly dispense into the airbox if the engine is off and it's quickly rolled over on it's RIGHT hand side in order to get unstuck?

Would it be enough to be concerned about?

I was riding with a guy on a multipurpose who rolled and lost his oil. All of it. He got a few liters of 2 stroke of some buddies and came 40 miles home. Got the sled checked when he got home. No problem.

I don't know if this is a wise move but it can get you home.

Sticks in the Face said:
Ok - so letting it sit turned over is bad. . . . .leaving it sit turned over while running is worse. . . . .so how much oil could a guy possibly dispense into the airbox if the engine is off and it's quickly rolled over on it's RIGHT hand side in order to get unstuck?

Would it be enough to be concerned about?

Each situation is a bit different, a lot of it depends on the angle the sled is sitting at. If your on the RH side and are fairly quick, most likely you won't loose much.
I like to have the option of being able to roll it on to either side. Mainly because if I'm stuck on the side of a hill. Its always easier to roll a sled on it's side going down hill. For example, if my LH side is facing down hill thats the direction I want to roll it.
Instead of trying to roll the machine up hill, into the snow bank and then dragging it around. :exc:

I roll mine over all the time to get unstuck. You'll lose oil, but you'll lose a lot more if the motor is running. Using a tether will help reduce oil loss. I also carry a small water bottle with extra oil(about half a qt.) and that has always been enough to get me back to the truck.

Attachments

• CIMG2879.jpeg
    CIMG2879.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 64

Back