• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oil Usage

Lovemyyams

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Apex GT
2002 SX Viper
I have a 06 Apex gt with 14k miles on it. I have maybe put 1000 of those miles on it. When I bought the sled the PO had changed the oil. Last year I changed the oil before the season and barely put on any miles (garbage winter). This year I changed the oil before the season, I drained the sump and then the oil tank. The sump held what looked like the normal amount but when I drained the tank only a qt or half a qt came out! I was terrified and thankful I had not started it yet in just hopes that it leaked out during storage(I saw SOME stains on the floor of my trailer but I thought it was the chaincase fluid I spilled that finally leaked out)? These sleds have an oil level sensor, correct? so If I lose alot again for some reason I will know before damaging it? anybody having this issue? I can't imagine I F***ed up last year enough to not put the right amount of oil in it so im guessing leak/ burning it? It does not smoke at all, exhaust smells perfect, and it runs perfectly.

check the oil tank for a crack as it is a known issue on these sleds. also check the hose from the tank to the oil pump as mine started splitting around the 20000 mi mark. i caught it before it leaked.

Since he indicated he found 'some' oil stains on the floor of his trailer, didn't think it might be a cracked oil tank but you're right it was a common problem. Also note that the foam on the back side of the body panel below the oil tank will also be saturated with oil if the tank is cracked so would be something else to check. Although I cleaned up the area with a scotchbrite pad, here's what to look for, crack-wise, when inspecting your oil tank:
OilTankCrackFront.JPG

I was thinking more along the lines that he might be burning the oil and was going to suggest using Yamaha's Ringfree fuel additive:
Ringfree.JPG

If it was burning it, I figured I'd see some sort of blue smoke or plug fouling but I see no signs of that. However, my motorcycle has the same engine and I usually burn 1 qt of oil every 5k miles so maybe it is burning slowly and I just haven't noticed it. I definitely ride the Apex harder than the FZ1, so more time spent at 8k+rpms will burn oil faster if that is the case.

Is the ring free additive something I need to add every fuel fillup or just one and done?

Generally, it's used to remove carbon build-up/deposits on the rings which can allow oil to pass thru and get burnt. I would do an initial treatment and then monitor oil level to determine if comsumption has decreased or if another treatment is needed. Knowing it uses a dry sump where a majority of the oil will be contained in the oil tank, it does seem odd you were only able to drain out just barely a qt. after a low mileage prior season as that would seem to indicate a major oil burner where I would think you would see signs. However, you stated the plugs looked good and there is no silt on the tail pipe ends.

also, make sure all the hoses from the engine/oil tank to the air box (intake) are on. with one from oil tank off/compromised my old rx war would burn way more oil than normal when riding.

Thats a good thing to check. I did notice alot of oil residue in the air box when I fogged it for storage.

Back