• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oops, I stretched a bolt

pay2play

Expert
Not good. Tell me that I just need to replace a bolt...please. :o| I checked the threads with another bolt and the threads seem fine. I was torquing down the primary "cover " to 14 nm with an inch lbs wrench I just bought at Harbor Freight. I used a converter on the web to 124 inch lbs from 14 nm that I found in the FAQ link. What do you think. I need some expert opinions.
image.jpg

Just replace the bolt. The stretching probably happened in dead space. Good thing you didn't snap.

I would recommend getting a better quality torque wrench, one tool I wouldn't cheap out on. Good thing it didn't snap off, if you can hand thread in different bolt I would think your fine.

This happend to me a week ago. Tightening the primary cover. No problem with the threads in the clutch, just replaced the bolts.

There maybe nothing wrong with your torque wrench. The bolt may have just been tired/weak. Just replace the bolt...you'll be good.

Just buy it from a good hardware store and buy a high grade 8 or 10 bolt...a lot cheaper than Yamaha. The bolt size likely M5, M6 or M8.

Back