• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Opinions please on 1.75" Track

What track would YOU rather for some ditch banging/ powder riding/ transportation

• 1.5 inch paddle with 9 tooth extros

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1.75 inch paddle with 8 tooth extros

• OTHER

• Total voters

08nytromtx16

Veteran
Can you guys help me out with a decison that I still havent been able to make my mind up on :o|. I would go with the 1.75 but Im just kinda scared of how much speed I will loose, and that i would have to go to 8 tooth extros to fit it (even more speed loss), and the whole Hyfax wear thing. Then I thought about going to 1.5 inch to keep some speed but what happens if it cant cut it for the powder riding that I love so much then Im stuck with a track that Im not happy with. SO please answer given you were in my shoes and had to make the choice and explain your answer in a reply. Thanks alot and hopefully I can finally make up my mind about this. :o|

I'd go for the 1.5" track. You'd be surprised at how much you can really go through with a 1.5" - provided you have the right lug profile.

I always thought that if I had to go to 1.75 inch that I would have to go to 8 tooth since theres not enough space with the protectors out?? does that mean that I can have 9 tooth extros with the 1.75 if i take the protectors out ( which i plan on doing anyways)?? oh also is there anyspecial way to take them out or do you just take a saw to them?

1.5 your best all around option & hyfax may be problem depending on conditions. I would never ever go less than 1.25 for any sled & this simple requirement knocks alot of 2s sleds from consideration.

To remove drivers from the shaft, use a hydraulic press.

You will need to press the new drivers onto the shaft as well.

It makes driver alignment much easier.

Broken drive shaft being replaced using a hydraulic press.
Brokendriveshaft.jpg

Hope this helps! ;)!

actually I ment any special way to take the protectors out? I plan on getting my dealer to switch out the track and drivers seeing how thats way outa my comfort zone for mechanincal stuff

The protectors in the tunnel are fairly easy to take out. They are held in the tunnel via some brackets that are riveted in. Yes - these protectors hold a lot of snow and ice .... Rip those babies out!

The protectors on the front cooler are a bit more tricky. I believe they are welded to the cooler itself (someone correct me if I am wrong). So some grinding my be involve. If you leave these coolers in place, a 1.5" track will just barely fit without changing the driver size. If you go to a 1.75" track, and don't change the driver size, then you will have to remove these protectors for the track to fit.

Also seeing how 91 percent of you all picked 1.5 whats wrong with 1.75. Is it really that bad and pointless? Sorry for all these questions I just want to make sure Im making the right choice and not rushing into this

08nytromtx16 said:
I always thought that if I had to go to 1.75 inch that I would have to go to 8 tooth since theres not enough space with the protectors out?? does that mean that I can have 9 tooth extros with the 1.75 if i take the protectors out ( which i plan on doing anyways)?? oh also is there anyspecial way to take them out or do you just take a saw to them?

Follow this logically;

Stock is 1.25".
Tunnel protectors protrude 1".
Remove the tunnel protectors you gain 1" extra clearance.
1.25+1 = 2.25" > 1.75" = plenty of clearance.

The tips of the teeth on the external sprockets are not as high as the lugs on the track, therefore there is no worry about the sprockets.

Regarding removal of tunnel protectors...
The tunnel protectors on the top of the tunnel will be riveted on in several places. You want to cut or drill the rivets. The tunnel protectors on the front heat exchanger are welded on. You need to cut them off with something along the lines of a die grinder, or it could be done with a dremel and a lot of patience. This is best done with the driveshaft out.

Thanks LB its comforting now knowing I wont have to go to the 8 tooth and that If i choose I can fit the 1.75 and i will probably get the dealer to take the protectors out when I bring it to them for the track and extros.

I was talking to a Yamaha rep at one of the 09 shows, and mentioned I was thinking about removing the tunnel protectors on my FX Nytro. He said absolutely "Don't Do IT". He claimed that the whole chassis is all designed together with each piece doing it's part of the whole & I might loose some ridgidity or cause some other piece to fail. Is he just covering his(Yamaha's) #*$&@, or is there something to his concerns?
I covered the hole on my Phazer Fx and it made a huge difference in icing, I'd like to do something with the Nytro - If not remove the protectors, maybe rivet a sheet of aluminum to the underside to keep snow off the muffler but still allow some air flow.

I'm pretty new but from my experiences with Arctic Cats the last 10 years the mountain sleds are built for a different kind of riding obviously then the trail sleds. The M's had a lot less bracing in the tunnels and people that have done a lot of trail riding with them have experienced issues with tunnels bending. This was especially true when the first crossfires came out. They used the same tunnel as M's and there were a lot of problems with tunnels bending. In 08 they came out with a modified tunnel for the CF's with more bracing.

I guess what I'm saying is that there could be some truth to the Yamaha Reps statement. If you ride hard I would at least take it into consideration. I do not have my Nytro yet to actually look it over to see exatly just how much ridgidity the tunnel protectors add but these are just my words of caution.

I would like to add a 1.75" track to mine as well when I get it so I'm glad you get to be the guinea pig :)

Back