• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

ordering parts for my viper

2008 Nytro RTX

TY 4 Stroke God
I cant wait to gey my RTX LE,but until then im making a list of what to order for my sled.new 8 inch sharper bars,C&A razors in white,144 1 3/4 inch studs,clutch kit im thinking drag n fly? Can you guys give me your opinion?,k&n filter kit n full exhaust. My goal is to get 150 hp n have it weigh 475 dry. With those mods I should be able to get around 143-145 with above mods,can I go in the motor change the pistons n cams?still want to use 93 octane. I want to get it to 150-160 hp n have it weigh 475,the cheaper way would be to go with a supercharger or trail turbo? Need some help guys thanks in advanced!!!!!

Well the quickest way to get there is the turbo!!! and you can only go up in power from there. To spend 2 -3K to pick up 15 to 20 hp to me is senseless and either way you will find out that you have voided the motor warranty by doing motor work or a turbo on an RTX especially. But you can safely run 4 to 6#'s of boost gaining 10 hp per # on 91 non ethenol fuel. and there are kits out there to do this for around $3500 and up. The more simple like Hurricane can be installed and if it does blow up you could change it back to original prior to dropping it off at the dealer and claiming it under warranty whereas if you do motor work that may not sneak by them and just to pull and re-install a motor is close to $600.00 at a dealer.

I have ridden all of 2014 models stock and my turbo XTX and YamahaTims turbo LTX and there is no comparrison. The go button is like a drug constantly being slammed to the bars. At 190 hp there is nothing I have run into in the UP that will run against it. Even the re-flashed xf-1100's have fallen to both Tim and myself. I have a Pro R 800 Switchback and another buddy has a CAT 800 Snopro and both are just left in the dust.

I put carillo rods and wiseco low compression pistons in the new block along with a quick spool wastegate on mine and am shooting for 240 hp on the top end with a switch to drop back to 190 hp on the trails.

Plus with a pipe they do sound awesome :Rockon:

http://youtu.be/lAxIB1CdXMg

http://youtu.be/SelTlHriHFI

Oh by the way several people said that 2nd video did not look that fast. It was over 100 mph when I passed him and stop the video after I passed him and check out the ski tracks. I cracked the throttle at 100 and it lifted the skis and they are barley making a mark on the fresh groomed trail.

Yamadog,

It is amazing what a few add on parts will do on these motors. I have been running this motor pretty much since it came out. Now considering I only run MTX versions and my Viper is an MTX I can only make this comparison.

My Nytro MTX se 162 with Full hurricane/hindle kit, clutching vs my Viper MTX se 162 with 190 turbo the difference is not that much. The 190 turbo has the legs but if you want launch and a quick sled to 60 mph, the hindle/Hurricane is pretty tough to beat. It will take my turbo out of the hole. The Nytro is also a handful to drive cause it is so snappy but so much fun. It just has so much pull it is retarded. The turbo is tamer down low but really pulls on strong up top and is actually easier to drive but to me not as fun as that bottom end snap that the nYtro has. Also when I had this setup on my XTX, it had no problem taking down 800's and even turbo cats. It just only had legs to 100 and then it had no more where others would keep going.

So no, the turbo cant be beat for top end and increased performance as you can keep getting more out of it. But if you just want a super quick machine out of the hole and corner to corner, a good exhaust kit like what Hurricane offers and some good clutching from Ulmer and you can be very happy with that.

You can also have timing changed a couple degrees to make use of the 11:1 compression and premium fuel. YOu will gain roughly 5hp or so from that alone. This motor is 11:1 compression but uses 87 fuel. It is detuned in timing department to prevent detonation under the heaviest loads.

Now all this said, the cheapest way to get HP is to buy a turbo. But there is something to be said about a naturally aspirated machine. I always felt a turbo was cheating (I do have a turbo) but would always rather have a NA motor pushing bigger hp numbers. Busting into the head and having work done and even stroking this motor and 12:1 compression will be huge and be very tough to beat.

Loud I agree totaly - BUT - for most guys $$$/ hp is King. After blowing the motor 4 wks ago I rebuilt with carillo rods and low compression pistons and a quickspool waste gate and it is even faster. Going into a turn I roll out of the throttle till the clutch disengages at 3300 rpms and keep the turbo spooled when I grab throttle I have to be pointed straight cause the skis are coming up 1' min. Last monday I rode about 60 miles and Tuesday could not use my hands cause the sled was constantly trying to throw me off the back. I have blisters on both hands which I have never had before.

Several years ago I built a stroked 1000 CC apex motor that dynoed at 189 hp and put it in an RX-1 chasis I had blown the motor on. This sled was fast and after much clutching and gear changes would do over 130 mph on radar but wanted to blow over at anything over 125 mph. This thing is in a class of its own because of the uncoupled skid and 141" 1.6 inch paddle. The launch is maniacle.

I am finally seeing speeds of 107 (not all she had in her) but with the low winshield I cannot keep my helmet on beyond that. With a BV2s I have to keep my mouth open to force it to stay down and I tried it once with the moto cross helmet and almost choked myself to death with the strap. I am not interested in going any faster than that anymore. I crashed an Apex several years ago at over 105, but getting there fast is my goal on this sled. This week the final upgrades go in and I wil be switched at 10# and 6#'s for trail :Rockon:

I rather be super quick 0-60 then super fast,I ride 90% trails so I want corner to corner speed. I love rough trails and I like to rip the #*$&@ end around by breaking and then slamming that throttle lifting the skis 6 inches in the air just to let me know im hooking up good and yet i can still can control her. I love to skip across 2-3ft moguls and even double them up,so I need a very snappy sled for my riding style not a fast one. I loved my Nytro down low power,if I added a full exhaust,clutching,k&n filters and maybe gear it down?? To get a very very quick sled. Do you think I would need to gear it down or what I said before that be good?

I am just a fan of building motors. I build grizzlies that push 100 hp NA and it is amazing what you can get out of them when the time is spent and dollars.

I am glad your sled is working for you. Ever find out why it blew? Boost set to high?

I think if you gear the sled down to 2.2 and add full hindle exhaust, mapping, intake and clutching, I think you will be very happy. Top end will only be about 90 mph though.

They blamed it on the boost gauge I put in it but it was dropping a cylinder from 150 miles on the clock on. Saying it was letting air in the line and confussing the gems controller.

I did not add the gauges (boost and AFR) untill after 400 miles and 2 times of dropping cylinders. It would only run on 2 up to 6000 rpms then take off for 80 miles. Park it the next morning ran fine. I never changed the boost or gems controller and the AFR never read over 11.4 at WOT.

It is still set at 6#'s and has low compression pistons in it and has more power by far than it did before it blew.

I agree with building a motor. But with this turbo on the Viper it's fast right away! Snappy as hell! There is pretty much no turbo lag! This sled out pulls my Nytro with a lot of work, but n/a. I think this sled with the Turbo is the fastest sled I have ever ridden out do the hole. The LTX SE does not lift the skis on the trail so it is awesome in the trails! It handles just like the stockers, but it shoots out of the corners! Was messing around with a 800 ski doo and 800 arctic cat today and was way faster in the trails than they were! We found a a little section in the woods where you could see across the corn field if someone was coming both ways. And we did times. I was at least 8 sec. Faster than they were. Same trail same day. Different sleds and different riders I know. We are all on the same level as far as riding goes. It was a short distance I think just over a 1/2 mile. So not far, but we could see both entrance and exit. So one would go on one side and one on the other side. So it was safe! Besides maybe hitting a tree...lol super fun! To us it was a good test to the ability of the sleds and riders. We did not change riders. ;)!

Sorry that had nothing to do with ordering parts...lol :drink:

no super chargers available yet there is a problem with room under the hood and alignment for the pulleys a lot more mods will have to be made for them to fit

2008 Nytro RTX said:
So what would be best for what I want?what about a super charger?

I had a headed, K&N filters, PCV, clutch kit, duponts, and wheel kit. In my Nytro XTX and it was fast, didn't really have any trouble with 800's. So it's still fun. But all that was around 4000 dollars. So I figured what the heck. And I'm happy I did! I would like to run a turbo Nytro just to see. I don't really like racing other Yamaha's, but would not be for bragging rights just info... ;)!

I think clutching,kn filters,full exhaust n gearing her down will get me from corner to corner very fast. You think 144 studs in conjunction with the 1.7 inch track will be enough hook up for 142hpish n it will be geared down as well. Top speed going to b around 90 but 0-60 will b sub 3 seconds

2008 Nytro RTX said:
I think clutching,kn filters,full exhaust n gearing her down will get me from corner to corner very fast. You think 144 studs in conjunction with the 1.7 inch track will be enough hook up for 142hpish n it will be geared down as well. Top speed going to b around 90 but 0-60 will b sub 3 seconds

I have a 1.6 lug track, so pretty much the same and I hook up great! It's a ice ripper track, but I don't know. I don't like studs! But I'm sure it would hook up pretty good :Rockon:

Back