• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Oversized idler wheels? Any problems with using them?

i can see if you just change the outside wheels without changning the inside wheels you could have a problem. i'm changing insides and outsides.

rear outside idlers 06 vector

Went and purchased some aftermarket rear wheel for the rear drive spindle. These had the replaceable 205 bearings, but they will not work due to the increased width of the 205 bearings. After doing the calculations, it appears the two outside spacers would have to be milled .118 to use these, has anyone done this? Would like to varify before I mill the spacers.

ThePhast1: I put about 2000 miles on the Parts Unlimited Idlers this past season and they still look great. As some of you have read, putting idlers on that are too large (diameter) can put a lot of stress on your rails and they will start to bend inward and eventually will crack. You need to spread the force out evenly on your rails as much as possible, but having idlers too large will place all the strain on that one point.

Re: rear outside idlers 06 vector

mightyroo12 said:
Went and purchased some aftermarket rear wheel for the rear drive spindle. These had the replaceable 205 bearings, but they will not work due to the increased width of the 205 bearings. After doing the calculations, it appears the two outside spacers would have to be milled .118 to use these, has anyone done this? Would like to varify before I mill the spacers.

Yes, a number of people have done this. There are a number of threads discussed previously here. Try using the search feature.

I have tried them on my 2006 nytro and after 800km the wheels have a nice even wear pattern and no problems with the rails I also beleive the snow will take the place between the sliders and track clips cushioning the impacts just like oil does between a crankshaft and a bearing

just a heads up to anyone using the larger polaris wheels.

My sled (2005 RX-1 ER) came with them and this happened the first season. I dont believe the person who put them on machined down the brackets. What you cant see is that the track was chewed up on one side. Not enough to ruin it, but enough to ruin my day.

Attachments

• cracked_rail_2_small.JPG
    cracked_rail_2_small.JPG
    197.5 KB · Views: 421
stunter1 said:
just a heads up to anyone using the larger polaris wheels.

My sled (2005 RX-1 ER) came with them and this happened the first season. I dont believe the person who put them on machined down the brackets. What you cant see is that the track was chewed up on one side. Not enough to ruin it, but enough to ruin my day.
you have to remove 3mm from each side of the bracket - they must have spread the rails and forced it back together -

The whole idea of using an oversize wheel just to get to have a replaceable bearing is just stupid. Use the proper size wheel - which are available aftermarket with the replaceable bearing! Having a rail crack is not only really expensive, but a lot of work to remove the skid, take it completely apart, etc..

The new Yamaha wheels are a direct size replacement and they do have replaceable bearings.

I tried to order a couple of these back in the spring and they were back ordered for months. They couldn't even tell me a delivery date...therefore I went out and got aftermarket larger Kimpex wheels. For the inner idlers, the supports have to be machined down 1.5mm to center the wheel between the track lugs.

Grimm: If the Kimpex wheel is thicker, then you might be ok, but if the diameter is larger, then unless you compensate for that, you will have significant added stress on the rail (see the picture in the post above). Parts Unlimited makes an exact replacement wheel for the Yammis with replaceable bearing. I have put over 2500 miles on these wheels with no issues. See my posts and pictures earlier in this thread.

This is the wheel that cracked my rails.

These wheels came on my RX-1. They are obviosuly not the yami ones. I've been told they are the Polaris ones. Is this true? I need to get replacement bearing for them but have no clue how to track down a bearing for a wheel that Im not sure of the model or size.

I put stock yami ones back on the inners where this one came from, but the other 4 up front are the same and need the bearings replaced.

Attachments

• idler.JPG
    idler.JPG
    261.2 KB · Views: 301
Stunter1: Why are you going to put on the same wheels (after new bearings) that cracked your rails?

There is a bearing shop in Minneapolis called Tull Bearing. I walked in with my old bearing and they matched them up perfectly. I bought a few extras for future use. I can't remember the price, but it was less then in any of the catalogs.

Im not. Last year when the rails cracked I put the stock yamaha onesback in their place.

The other 4 front idlers just happen to be the same Polaris ones. ( I had 6 polairis wheels in all) I dont have the cash to replace the other 4, so I am just going to replace the bearings in those 4. I am pretty sure its only a problem to have those oversized idlers on the inner locations.

Stunter1: If you have a micrometer or have one to use, you can match up the bearing by knowing 3 dimensions: The outside diameter, the inside diameter, and thickness. Good luck!

Back