• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Parking Brake Pads - Seating New Pad

JustJoe

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha Nytro FX
I have a 2008 Nytro FX that I'm having trouble getting new parking brake pads to seat in the caliper body. I used a punch with a tack hammer to lightly pop the old one out but I cannot get the new one to seat.

I have used a paint stick on the pad and a ratchet extension pressing the paint stick and a tack hammer to strike but it wont pop in place. The stem side was no problem, but the caliper body is a PITA.

I got Pad kit - 8FA-W0045-00-00

This is the setup I used to try seating the pad. It appears seated in this picture but as soon as I release pressure, it falls out. I also tried using a golf tee on the pad and hitting the end with a tack hammer, no go. I also tried to put the original pad back in place to see if it would seat, it would not.

I realize this is remedial, but I'm hitting a dead end after dead end. My last thought is to use the opposing pad and a clamp to press them together. I might have a small enough c-clamp too?
20231204_173103.jpg

I'm wondering if the wooden paint stick is absorbing the taps as you try to hamer the pad into place. Thinking you're on the right track in trying to use old pad or even a quarter (something metal instead of wood) over the new pad and then tap into place.

Thanks Rob! Can you confirm the pad kit is the correct part #? I'll call partzilla later today

Yes, partzilla shows that kit being applicable for a 2008 Nytro

I was able to seat the pad in the caliper using a quarter on the pad , 3/8" ratchet extension and a tack hammer. A few good wacks and it was on.

Everything is back together and operational. I could have likely used the old pads but they were glazed and not holding so it was time well spent. Thanks for your help!

Do you think it's okay to have put anti-seize on the silver gear of sorts that actually pushes the pad into place? It's on the outside when sitting on the sled and is circled in red. This is what it looked like before I cleaned it up as junk was falling out of the groves. I did it to make it actuate smoother but don't want a problem. Another option would be standard WD40, pb blaster or something like fluid film (lanolin)

Attachments

• 20231206_212123.jpg
    20231206_212123.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 20
Sorry Joe for the delayed response; saw your PM too.

I would not think putting on anti-seize on that drive gear would be an issue as its needs to be able to move to apply pressure to parking brake pads and it's not like having the anti-seize will allow it to back out due to the nut on the backside.

Back