• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

POLL, Phazer no start below -15 degrees F

I had a couple of issues but it was that it only took 2-3 minutes to start up after cranking it for 5-7 seconds at a time. I would then turn the ignition off and back on wait a few seconds then try to crank it over. It sits in my trailer up on the campsite and it has been any where from -30 was the coldest last week to a high of about 10 degrees. Saturday morning was 5 when I went to start it and it took a minute or so then fired up and this morning was around 6 degrees sitting outside and it fired up also but only after a minute or so. My wifes Nytro fires right up no problems. All you have to do is choke it and crank it and 3 seconds later it is running. There is about 270 miles on it and will see what it is like next weekend when we go up. They are expecting temps anywhere from -20 to a high of 5 to 10 degrees.

Mine won't start below 0
but thats mostly cause I wont start below 0 either..
I'll just hide under the sheets till its warm enough...

j/k I understand some peeps need the machines for
life...

jp@weknowsnow said:
were were out in -30 or so with wind chill today and i left my sled for a good 4-5 hours while we went snowboarding. fired right up

Wind chill has zero effect on machinery. Your next post said it was 5-10 degrees with 70 mile an hour winds. Thats a serious wind chill for sure, but only for you.

Your sled only sees that 5 degrees.

Unfortuneately I never got it out there in cold enough weather to find out if the new plugs and oil change helped.
Thank you Yamaha.
Last few trips it never went below 0 F .
Guess I will have to wait until next February to find out if the problem still exists, then it will be out of warrantee and the fix will be customer pay.

Being a fuel injection programmer I suspect a remap of the cold start fuel and timing maps will correct the problem.

We will see next season.

Ted.

Yamaha have a fix on its way for this issue. They will change the "weight" on camshaft that controlls the autodecomp system. They have found out that the exhaustvalve stands open to "long" and by reducing this time the start problems will be gone. (will have the valve to close at lover rpm)

sniperviper said:
Yamaha have a fix on its way for this issue. They will change the "weight" on camshaft that controlls the autodecomp system. They have found out that the exhaustvalve stands open to "long" and by reducing this time the start problems will be gone. (will have the valve to close at lover rpm)

Where did you obtain this information?
Will it be covered under Warrantee?

Thank you.

Ted.

I have that information from a yamaha mechanics here in scandinavia and he also told me that yamaha will cover this fix on the sleds that have problems with starting when cold.

GypsyRoots said:
With the new mixture adjustment Yamaha made on my machine, it will now fire down to -25F. -20F with no struggle.
At -49F, even plugged in all night it would not start.

I was leery. But, very glad to hear what your dealer did to yours helped with startability.

Now, did it at all affect your overall fuel mileage?

And, in a nutshell, give us a general consensus on the sled. Would you buy another?

Thanks

Irondoghalf said:
GypsyRoots said:
With the new mixture adjustment Yamaha made on my machine, it will now fire down to -25F. -20F with no struggle.
At -49F, even plugged in all night it would not start.

I was leery. But, very glad to hear what your dealer did to yours helped with startability.

Now, did it at all affect your overall fuel mileage?

And, in a nutshell, give us a general consensus on the sled. Would you buy another?

Thanks

Fuel mileage was diminished by 1/2 mpg, bringing it to 18 mpg overall average on my 1200 mile trip. Not bad.

In a nutshell... this is the best traveling snowmobile I have ever ridden. Period.
I carried all of my gear, yes all 230 lbs, on the cargo rack! No towing a sled anymore! That is awesome!
Would I buy another one? ...Yes I would, but if I had the choice of a better starting engine, I would take it.
In the 4000 miles I have punished this snowmobile with, if it started it worked flawlessly.
But not everyone wants to go riding when it is -50F.
I recommend it! and if you don't mind getting out of your sleeping bag every hour at minus 47, it is Alaska approved.

Back