• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Prefered Driveshaft Bearing Viper/Sidewinder

FrozenTows4

Lifetime Member
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 XF7000 Sold
2017 ZR6000RS
2018 ZR6000 El Tigre
YOUTUBE
FrozenTows1
I have 2 machines that need driveshafts and bearings due to spinning.

I found the Nachi 6009-2NSE9 mentioned.
Appears to be a fair choice. Operating temperature range -5f to +200f
RPM range is more than we'll use.

Can not find the comparable FAG or SKF for comparison.

What is your preferred replacement bearing and why?

You cant go wrong with any of the quality bearings like koyo, nachi, skf, fag etc. I replaced my factory bearing with koyo as it was convenient for me to get. I would not of hesitated to use any of the others mentioned. Just stay away from any chinese or no name bearings and you should be good.

I work at a national bearing distributor and that is less than half of my cost on an SKF bearing, pretty sure you will be getting a counterfeit if you buy from this seller. Go to a real bearing distributor if you want to get something quality. SKF is the best but you will pay for it. Koyo and Nachi are also good choices but at a better price. I have been selling this stuff for 10 years and put Koyo in mine.

Happen to have a Koyo part number & spec link?

Ceramic balls only, rest is all 52100 chrome steel (stainless). $161 each!

You're running ceramic bearings?
I am thinking about it. They should last the life of the sled. Besides cost, is there a down side? Maybe someone with more knowledge than me on bearing applications can chime in.
Get that thing locked to the shaft and be done with it until you need a track........

I just asked for some info from the company that supplies these bearings. They do not recommend ceramic hybrid bearings for any type of shock load or vibration. They say it would fail quickly in a snowmobile drive shaft application.
oh well

I just asked for some info from the company that supplies these bearings. They do not recommend ceramic hybrid bearings for any type of shock load or vibration. They say it would fail quickly in a snowmobile drive shaft application.
oh well
Kind of what I thought, but didn't have any real experience other than a bicycle application.
Tried ceramic bearings in a bicycle bottom bracket (crank arm assembly). Wore out in less than one season. Never again.
Went back to quality steel bearings, Shimano Durace. Three years and still solid.
Can't imagine baked clay, being better than steel, in these applications.

oh well
Yeah, ceramic will never work, they are correct. I do orthopedics, and have done several thousand hip replacements. Tried ceramic heads for a very short period, as I had several of them disintegrate into powder. It was ugly.

Back