• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Primary shims made easy with pics

stingray719

TY 4 Stroke God
Remove clutch cover

Here I have one Yamaha shim (1mm) and one shim from Bender Racing (6mm) and the pair comes out to 0.27inches according to my caliper. I advise starting at 2mm or 4mm and increasing by steps. Shim from Bender Racing was $9.95

20141009_191033_resized.jpg

Put shims in the cover, the first pic is for illustration.

20141009_191135_resized.jpg

This pic is with the shims in.

20141009_191143_resized.jpg

Put the spring on and install back on the primary,

20141009_191203_resized.jpg

BUT, make sure you line the X up on the cover and on the clutch for balance.

20141009_191223_resized.jpg

Enjoy!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

OK so now that we have the caliper reading out of the way, the looming question is this: Do you actually run 7mm of shim in your sled?

Girlfriends all stock but clutch has 7mm, my tricked Viper is running 6mm . Anything 4mm or north of it works but found the best results 6 or 7mm

why not go to a stiffer spring with the same preload?
g/w/g .....45-136
why not jump into a p/g/p 40-139
or does the shim allow you to adjust the pressure in smaller increments?
I run a single shim in my primary just to get the extra 50-100rpm I wanted

why not go to a stiffer spring with the same preload?
g/w/g .....45-136
why not jump into a p/g/p 40-139
or does the shim allow you to adjust the pressure in smaller increments?
I run a single shim in my primary just to get the extra 50-100rpm I wanted

Tried the orange/silver/orange 35/143 but it was a little shorter and did not work for me. For some reason this clutch likes the long spring shimmed. Find a better solution cheap I am all ears. :D

Now how do we boil that down as elevation drops away? In other words probably a better question is what does Terry run in his?

Terry has the 2mm if I believe. As I tested I kept increasing mine and quit at 7mm I advise starting low and increasing.

and to think the title of this post was
primary shims made easy. LOL

It's ok everybody makes a mistake sometime. We knew what you meant.

BTW, I put my shims, weights and springs in today. My clutches had some pretty good marks in them from where the engine was just overpowering the belt. Hopefully this will make the difference.

Ok so awhile back I put on a g w g and wanted to shim it also but never could find a shim for my sled no matter who I called most of the dealers up this way didn't even know what I wanted one dealers said they found them and they would order for me, perfect. Got them in and they were the belt adjustment shim wtf. So if someone could tell me where I can get shims I would appreciate it.

Ok so awhile back I put on a g w g and wanted to shim it also but never could find a shim for my sled no matter who I called most of the dealers up this way didn't even know what I wanted one dealers said they found them and they would order for me, perfect. Got them in and they were the belt adjustment shim wtf. So if someone could tell me where I can get shims I would appreciate it.

I pinged you where I got mine as he is not a vendor here

Back