• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Proper starting procedure?

Vilas

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2014 Viper xtx, Thunder products clutch kit
ive read a few different opinions here about what the proper starting procedures are for the viper. Is there any consesensus on what the best procedure is to avoid the chances of starter failure? I'm new to the viper this year and I've got a 2014 xtx.

Turn the key on, give it about 5-6 seconds and listen to the fuel pump end its cycle, turn key until its starts, let it warm up, pin the throttle

Reactions: 1tp
Key on let the injection cycle go and turn the key until it start( when machine is cold)

When the machinne is hot i don't let the injection cycle go,i start right away and it work better for me....

YAMAHA need to fix this #$%&* starter problem enough is enough.....:home:

Last edited:
Key on let the injection cycle go and turn the key until it start( when machine is cold)

When the machinne is hot i don't let the injection cycle go,i start right away and it work better for me....

YAMAHA need to fix this #$%&* starter problem enough is enough.....:home:

Agreed on both cold and hot start.

Is your 14 reflashed? Mine was not but mpi turbo never had 1 problem turn key and go my 15 not that easy

2014 Viper XTX 1.0 RIP - purchased in Sept 14 - retired Dec 27th 14 (402mi) - WAS update flashed - had minimal starting issues.

2015 Viper XTX 2.0 purchased Jan 15 had kickback one time so I adjusted my starting procedure (staying on the key until start) and that minimized the issue. I just got the evo reflash and it no longer has any issues starting. Only 30 or so starts so far and only down to 30deg. but so far so good. It also idles more even during warm up. I won't have real feedback on the reflash until we get some snow.

You know what is amazing is as bad as Yellowknifes sled started it never wrecked it. Is reason I don't think all will fail. But not chancing it. Hold that key. Good battery and Tender. I do not let mine prime. But whatever gets it going best.

You know what is amazing is as bad as Yellowknifes sled started it never wrecked it. Is reason I don't think all will fail. But not chancing it. Hold that key. Good battery and Tender. I do not let mine prime. But whatever gets it going best.
I think he did loose a starter, I can remember him saying in one of his video he replaced a starter.

I do the same:
Cold, let it cycle....then hold key in start position until it is fully runing
Hot, turn key to start right away and hold key till it's running

I do all that stuff. And while I do believe it helps, I am on my third starter.

Vipe I was thinking the same thing not really happy about this . If I get stranded I will not be very happy ! this why I buy Yamaha ( reliability ) the viper is my favorite Yamaha so far but I have a lot of interest in the 1200 doo!!

Back