• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Question about Reverse Apex GT

mapo

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Apex Gt
So my 06 apex gt is getting old, 47k km on it now. Last time I was out I got stuck and was pining it in reverse a lot. It eventually started making the grinding noise which I didn't pay much attention too. Now if you give it gas normally itll grind and itll only work if you throttle very slowly. I did lots of reading and checked that all the bolts in the reverse linkages were TIGHT and the top adjustment should be 27mm, mine is 30mm. Could that be the cause? I loosened the nuts but couldnt move the dial so gave up. Not sure what the bottom linkage should measure too. If its in forward all the bushings are loose, but if you pop in reverse they get tight. It does barely move the bottom lever though. Or maybe my gear is just done for. Any thoughts?

So my 06 apex gt is getting old, 47k km on it now. Last time I was out I got stuck and was pining it in reverse a lot. It eventually started making the grinding noise which I didn't pay much attention too. Now if you give it gas normally itll grind and itll only work if you throttle very slowly. I did lots of reading and checked that all the bolts in the reverse linkages were TIGHT and the top adjustment should be 27mm, mine is 30mm. Could that be the cause? I loosened the nuts but couldnt move the dial so gave up. Not sure what the bottom linkage should measure too. If its in forward all the bushings are loose, but if you pop in reverse they get tight. It does barely move the bottom lever though. Or maybe my gear is just done for. Any thoughts?
Yes, its out of adjustment now.. It don't take much.

Last edited:
Basically, you probably mangled the part of the gears that lock the two together for reverse gear. It’s the square teeth on the sides ( they were square, at least). Now that the edges are messed up, they pop apart under load. It can be fixed by a machinist with the right tools. Even better, have the teeth “undercut” which will make them more positively lock together when reverse is engaged.

Basically, you probably mangled the part of the gears that lock the two together for reverse gear. It’s the square teeth on the sides ( they were square, at least). Now that the edges are messed up, they pop apart under load. It can be fixed by a machinist with the right tools. Even better, have the teeth “undercut” which will make them more positively lock together when reverse is engaged.

Possibly that bad, usually you can take a file to it and then make an adjustment. I suppose if he pounded the piss out of it, it probably damaged now.

Back