• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Quick question regarding backfiring???

happy1426

Expert
So we put a new flex pipe on tonight, new donut gaskets, and a mountain performance exhaust too!! After all the work I noticed when it's running under lite throttle I notice this back firing goin on... When I rev it up high seems good but again this was just in the garage.. Id say it has been a while since plugs were changed. I plan on putting in cr10ek in it. Any other ideas what could be causing this?? And I just had the breather box setting on the carbs not real tight!! It's a 03 rx1 thanks

yes gas is old for sure last years gas and its like under a quarter tank im taking it to yamaha to get clutch work done, so get him to pop in some #10 plugs and seee what happens its not real bad!!

Siphon out the old gas and put it in your car. Fresh premium non-ethanol gas for the first tank, maybe with some type of carb cleaner additive like "seafoam".

You may also want to make sure the carb jets are clean after changing the gas...stuff collects very easily in those pilot jets.

MNBlizzard said:
You may also want to make sure the carb jets are clean after changing the gas...stuff collects very easily in those pilot jets.

X2 dirty Pilot jets cause this also.

Ok so once i get some new gas in it, put my new 170 main jets in and red springs and kn filters on it should work good then run some seafoam throught it , and new cr 10 plugs too!

Do not run premium, that engine does not have high enough compression. Regular unleaded will actually burn better. I have also never seen Plugged pilots cause back firing.

I would say you need to clean the carbs as well as ditch the old fuel. The pilot jets typically need a good "rodding out" to make sure they are clean. I attached some tips and a figure to go with them.

Attachments

• RX-1 Carb Cleaning Tips.pdf
    50 KB · Views: 124
  • RX-1 Carb Figure.pdf
    65.8 KB · Views: 115
87 Octane is best. More BTUs per liter. Use higher Octane and you are wasting money and will not get as good results. Higher octane fuels contain a lot of additives, which do not contain BTUs. Your sled does not need or run well with these additives.

The only way to get non oxygenated fuel In Minnesota is to run Premium..
I have always run premium in my 03 Ton since new. Run last Tank with Stabil put up for summer. I have never had to clean the carbs in 9 years and 13000 miles. Same with my wifes SXR600 which were famous for pilot plugging. Could be pilot jet size or needle height if you put on a performance Exhaust..

So had it to yamaha today had 170 jets put in red cv springs and kn filters put on with pre filters and a crank case filter, clutching all done and it still has the little back firing oh ya new plugs too! He didnt have # 10's in stock so he just put in # 9's instead!! I put 20$ worth of fresh regular gas in it and he told me once i start to run it a bit it should come out of it, and he said throw some seafoam through it too!!

Back