• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Re-Building a Boosted Phazer!

My 07 motor has been flawless.I have taken precautions such as Rollover valve though.Was definitly a few Lemons out there though but not my motor.It is a 12000 rpm motor so even stock it is very high strung for a 4 st twin.

I believe the head bolts are torque to yield bolts and should be replaced.Heck when I removed head from spare Phazer motor I bought one of the bolts snapped removing it.

Yes, torque to yield bolts must be replaced. They lose their elasticity and may snap or not give proper clamping. Why risk it on just bolts?

This is a great thread. Even though I don't/won't have a turbo, I'll be following for when we will be tearing into the project FX we picked up. It has low compression in both cylinders (~50psi) after having the head replaced after overheating. Still have to do a leakdown test to find where it's losing it but I find it suspicious that both have the same pressure. Who knows if the cams are out of phase.

Oh yeah, check out the thread on the 26500Km Phazer that Pat the Rat just sold. My 07 MP is coming to 8K and my son's 09 Phazer has 9K.

Re: 07 worst year anyway

MOUNTAIN VMAX4 said:
All mine were 07s and maybe that is the problem that is the year with the gear reduction failures and such I just made the post to make sure you and everyone that has there motor apart check your rod and main bearings I should have, I believe that the coolant probably cause damage before I bought it, Just letting people learn from my mistakes. The first motor was definitely not coolant that caused it and I changed oil regularly. Good thread and some good stuff to learn from your thread. Definitely not trying to bash or anything!!! Good luck!! The Phazer is a very fun sled to ride I enjoyed it when it was running and my wife is very bummed about it. It was her pride and joy.

Thank you for the addirional heads up! Just another thing to check when your this deep into the yamaha phazer!

Matsofatso, you have certainly extensively researched turbocharged Phazers. I have essentially the same sled, an 08 with the MCX turbo kit and extended track that I purchased used last year and know nothing of it's history.

In your research did you find any information on silencers that are acceptable for use with the turbo? I don't know what the one on my sled is except that it isn't stock. It's very loud and I would like to find a silencer ok to use with the turbo that would produce less noise. I have no expertise in this area but my understanding is that care must be taken not to create too much back pressure in a four stroke turbocharged motor, so perhaps that's why it's so loud.

If you, or anyone else, has any suggestions on a more noise suppressing silencer I would greatly appreciate it.

Mike
Idaho

Back