• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear heat exchanger installed

Jonesynl

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Apex MTX SE
Installed a rear cooler today from a 04 firecat 700, works well so far from a little test run in the driveway, seeing cooler temps already. All bolted on with stainless hardwear. Used my cross pipe for joiners and a 90 degree fitting, can't wait to test this out on the lakes in a few days. Going to extend the tail that the snow flag rivets into to add more strenght , as there's four more bolt holes in the curved part of the cooled, and also make it look better

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 233
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 235
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 243
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 231
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 214

Should work really well because of the size. Got it all finished up today, the tunnel should be a lot stronger now with the addition of the cooler and that tail plate i added in today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 170
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 168
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 176
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 153
Once you finish the running boards and tie them in to eliminate alot of the hose hanging it should be fairly good, even a rear bumper design to hide the dangling hoses? I would be leary of obstales catching them, but you may only ride through snow and not bushes?! What was your operating temps before and now after install? The thermostat controls the temps, so being you added much more cooling,then its likely the small radiator is not needed. The rad still may come in handy if ever in low snow conditions,or slow moving putt-putt bush adventures, that's where a radiator design shines. It would be interesting if you can change the thermostat to keep maintain an operating temps of 160*F. Over 175* F hp#s seem to peter-off. 160*F seems to be the magic number where these 4strokes like to make the best power. A temp guage is also on my to do list. If all this snow ever goes away I'm tearing mine down also for major overhaulin', and I might just go all radiator cooling???Dunno, keep going, your progressing well grasshopper,lol! Can't wait to see the boards!

Once you finish the running boards and tie them in to eliminate alot of the hose hanging it should be fairly good, even a rear bumper design to hide the dangling hoses? I would be leary of obstales catching them, but you may only ride through snow and not bushes?! What was your operating temps before and now after install? The thermostat controls the temps, so being you added much more cooling,then its likely the small radiator is not needed. The rad still may come in handy if ever in low snow conditions,or slow moving putt-putt bush adventures, that's where a radiator design shines. It would be interesting if you can change the thermostat to keep maintain an operating temps of 160*F. Over 175* F hp#s seem to peter-off. 160*F seems to be the magic number where these 4strokes like to make the best power. A temp guage is also on my to do list. If all this snow ever goes away I'm tearing mine down also for major overhaulin', and I might just go all radiator cooling???Dunno, keep going, your progressing well grasshopper,lol! Can't wait to see the boards!
Thanks for the ideas once again , haven't had any testing yet since I am doing donuts and flex pipes also this week, will be done tomorrow dinner time, will be riding alll weekend starting tomorrow even at the cabin, I don't like doing tree lines and such as I like slot more hill climbing and side hilling, and groom trial riding with the woman, I tend to avoid the woods and such ss I'm Afriad to hit a stump and do some damage. As for the running boards they seem to keep getting pushed back every week as the snow here is piling up and I want to ride as muh as I can this winter. I see what your saying about stuff hitting the holes but we will see what happens. When the running board is completely done, there will be only a few inchs of hoses visible. What small rad is not needed? Water temp gauge is my Favorite mod yet. Love keeping an eye on it all the time. And why grasshopper ? I'm only 21 years young lol

After 300 km of groom trail riding this weekend, I got to say the cooler in the rear was awesome. Steady temps all the time around 74-79 Celsius, NO ice build up in tunnel, when putt putting along in small wood trials temps never above 80, took a lot more coolant. In low snow coditions which we had in the groomed trails this weekend I was really surprised at the temps she ran. I never used the scratchers once. All I can say is this rear cooler is awesome and everybody should have one if you need it or not.

Back