• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Rear suspension problems please help!

08nytro136

Hi guys, I was wonder what may be wrong with my suspension and what would be the best fix for the money, I'm not looking to spend to much tho. My suspension when in the shop don't have any sag but when I push the rear down it doesn't return to its original height even when on the snow. What could be the reason for this? Also after riding for a about an hour over moderate to hard terrain the sled has about 6 inch of sag and even if I pull the rear up it stills sags back down? Is this normal? I've done some research but still am unsure on what to do. Should I get hygear torison spacers and the x clicks or should I just go with a stiffer spring or do you think my shock needs rebuilding? Just looking for some input from you guys, I'm driving a 08 nytro 136 tunnel extension kit from Hartman. Any help is appreciated!!!

You may have something either broke or binding. Its best to remove the suspension from the sled and look it over good. This gives you chance to clean/ lube all the shafts,bearings and remove shocks/springs to check them. Put it all back together using Loctite and torque wrench. Some sag is normal it is caused by things sticking.

Isn't this the typical behavior of the XTX skid? (not sure what Nytro you have though...) And the cheap (if $300 can be called cheap??) solution is the Star Suspension kit for the XTX skid? I have bought this kit, but not got around to install it yet.

My sled is just the 121 fx nytro with a 136 Hartman extension kit, I plan on taking out the skid before the snow hits and take a look over the suspension, just wondering if it sounds like my shock needs to be rebuilt or is it something else? Do you know if the star kit fits on a 121? Appreciate the help guys, I'm pretty new to this so any ideas is good!! 300 isn't to much, I want to get this thing dialled in badly!

Have the shocks rebuilt. I pulled mine and had them rebuilt and the rear is now back up. Hygear said the rears were gouged up. Though I did not go the cheap route for my rebuilds. But you should be able to get a cheap rebuild local. I do on the back up sled. :tg:

Alright I was thinking the same thing, how much is it to get both shocks rebuilt and revolve through hygear? Gonna send them away I think, probably going to get the torsion spacers to just for better movement out of my springs? I'm only 185 with gear so I don't think I need bigger springs

Give Hygear a call and tell them what you want and they will give you a quote. I think their service is good. But of course I still have not rode the sled yet since the upgrade. I did their triple springs and rear shock up grade.

hey im having the same problem after mine has sat all summer
wondering if you found a fix?
I also had mine lifted for about a month in the rear wondering if that had anything to do with it

What you describe sounds like the normal sag issue that has been discussed many times. It's always a good idea to check over the skid periodically which includes an occasional removal to do a thorough inspection. I don't believe the shocks are the problem although servicing them is not a bad idea. The suspension travel and ride height are mostly determined by the spring setup and the shocks control compression and rebound rates. I've made several changes to the suspension on my RTX although none of them were in an attempt to correct the sag. I installed the spring spacers and had all the shocks rebuilt/revalved which greatly improved ride but had little effect on sag. I have discovered that after I relocated the skid to accommodate a 128" track the sag seemed to be eliminated. I'm not sure exactly why but overall the relocate seemed to correct many suspension issues.

heavier springs with spring spacers will help. also for a hygear service look to spend about 600-700 dollars for a 4 shock rebuild and revalve, more if you want springs.

jeez was working fine last season ill see how it is this weekend im replacing a lot of idlers so will be greasing the whole skid hope it helps as with gear I cant weigh over 180 so I shouldn't sag out the springs might just need to set them up better
is there a factory tool kit on the sled with spanner wrenchs

X2 with Grizzs advice. You could do Hygear savers and get the X-Click spring cams for some extra boost, but if your a light weight you'll find a buckin horse under you.

grizztracks said:
What you describe sounds like the normal sag issue that has been discussed many times. It's always a good idea to check over the skid periodically which includes an occasional removal to do a thorough inspection. I don't believe the shocks are the problem although servicing them is not a bad idea. The suspension travel and ride height are mostly determined by the spring setup and the shocks control compression and rebound rates. I've made several changes to the suspension on my RTX although none of them were in an attempt to correct the sag. I installed the spring spacers and had all the shocks rebuilt/revalved which greatly improved ride but had little effect on sag. I have discovered that after I relocated the skid to accommodate a 128" track the sag seemed to be eliminated. I'm not sure exactly why but overall the relocate seemed to correct many suspension issues.

This^

The sag could also caused by the grease in the parts no longer being fresh. The grease can become hard almost caked on sometimes and it can cause the rear end not to come back up at all or all the way.

Also if the sled is on dollies, try taking the sled off the dollies.

08nytro136 said:
My suspension when in the shop doesn't have any sag, but when I push the rear down it doesn't return to its original height even when on the snow. Also after riding for a about an hour over moderate to hard terrain the sled has about 6 inch of sag and even if I pull the rear up it stills sags back down? Is this normal? I've done some research but still am unsure on what to do.

Have you looked at, pushed the rear suspension down, and compared your sag to another Nytro? That may help you see how normal or how much actual attention is needed. Just a thought.

Back