• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

redoing my shocks

Good discussion as I also like to think sleds in the summer. My wife thinks I'm ill or crazy or both. But this site lets me know I am not alone.

The problem with the shock ? is the word BEST. Best at what? pounding through the bumps at the fastest speed possible OR smoooooth like butter at a slower speed.
Two different things => two different shocks.
When I was younger I wanted control in the rough at high speed; now that is nice but smooth in rutted out trails is more important.

That is why some of us say coil over are the 'Best'. They would not be the best if we had different goals.

I think we all agree that if you dont want to be tuning your shocks to get the best out of them than you are probably better off with a spring shock vs the air. Less chance of failure with spring. But for me the Evols I have are the best shocks I have ever used. But it did require alot of tuning to find that perfect setup.

Yes air shocks "spring rate" very based on air temp, altitude, riding conditions, and I truely didn't like the ride. I bought custom axis this past summer and I didn't touch a thing once preload was set. Yes I could have tweaked a bit but from washboard to hard packed perfectly smooth I didn't feel it's bad enough to justify the time changing them.

Everyone in motocross is going back to springs and snowcross is small enough segment that it's making huge impact on a larger rider base. Why aren't the Polaris or skidoo sleds coming with them if they were so good, and why the new fox coil over on cat based sleds and even Polaris sleds for this year if air was the answer.

Also big bonus is 1 seal blowing out won't leave me on side of trail. These were perfect for mtn bikes but coming up short imo on snowmobiles. As has been said they are awesome at promoting.

Too bad Ohlins are not in the picture. Now those are like riding on marshmellows. SWEET I tell you.

I have had good and bad from Ohlins, mostly the electronic control and some seals in >25 k miles of Apex, Vector mono shock since 2006 so can't say I would pay for them as a choice

I am really leaning toward custom axis pros. Noww,whats the main difference between the remote reservoir N the regular piggyback shock?

Fronts? Piggy back. Piggyback is attached resivoire remote is the one mounted off the shock with a hose. They have compression, compression and rebound and high low compression and rebound adjustable versions. Difference is a few benjermans between each model lol. Pocket depth and adjustments you desire are the difference.

As I said I set preload and didn't touch an adjustment on mine, and they were a custom build for Jre spindles. Hygear has dyno and tons of notes to make a dialed shock for you

I think im going to go with a custom axis pro shock. It really is coming down to fox float 3 evol rc 2 vs custom axis pro piggy back shock. Now for the rears,who should I go with for back their. I am thinking with a pair of either float 3 evols back their,zbroz or axis pros. Which shocks would you go with Back their?

What the 1.5 fox rc 2? its a coil over shock, is it any good and does it compare to the float 3 evol rc (ones that are on the frontend stock for the 16) n the rc2 for rough trail riding? also the Axis pros?

Imo all coilover shocks fox ohlins axis Elka etc can all be made into a very good shock it's all up to the people you have building and servicing them for you. Pick the shop That's doing you work and go with the brand they mainly use and focus on. That's what gives them the most notes and knowledge to build the best shock for you.

The fox coilover vs the float rc2 are the same shock but instead of air sleeve over it and evol chamber and other bits and pieces they have a coilover spring instead.

Elka and axis I feel are the better shocks and ohlins is great but not enough experienced shops in states to service them. The fox I feel are the over hyped over marketed of the group. A decent piece but not as quality as the rest, wear items are cheaply made and need to be rebuilt sooner than the rest and more prone to leak and have oil breakdown and contaminated oil more than the rest also because of the cheaper seals. That's why racers use them a lot and don't have issues, snowcross racers rebuild them weekly and have several back ups in the truck.

I think I'm going to use Hygear because I want to use Axis shocks & I hear hygear is a good place to use. plus they are the only one where I can get Axis shocks from. well I am pretty sure I want to use axis shocks

I had my nytro set up by them and that thing handled unbelievable rough trail in tug hill

I think im going to go with a custom axis pro shock. It really is coming down to fox float 3 evol rc 2 vs custom axis pro piggy back shock. Now for the rears,who should I go with for back their. I am thinking with a pair of either float 3 evols back their,zbroz or axis pros. Which shocks would you go with Back their?

I have same concern, ordered a 2016 le for the front coils, my 2014 had the floats on IMO coils are better. Now for the rear if you want the Best, I ordered an EZ Ryde. Should be like ridding on a cloud!

What the hell is an ez ride? Is it a whole different rear skid?

Back