• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Repalcing Jack Shaft Bearing

shawnmcgr

Pro
I've been following the procedure in the FAQ that shows removal of the jackshaft without removing the chain case. So everythings going great until I need to spin off the locking collar. I thought I'd be able to tap it off or loosen it with a punch but nogo. I'm thinking it may be easier to just remove the chain case?

Any recommendations for a tool I could buy to hold or loosen this collar? I don't have much in the way of specialized sled tools just the usual reg. automotive tools.

Thanks,

Shawn

I use one of the shock tools that come with the sled.
I normally have the seat and tank off doing the donuts and the chain case all apart but i think you could still slide it in there and turn shaft till the wrench jams on the frame in a good spot. Then i put the secondary back on and turn it to unlock.
Reverse procedure to put back on.

Good luck

alot easier with chaincase apart IMO....

i made a tool from pipe with knotch to tighten up collar behind secondary,while holding backside collar with shock tool.

good luck
dan

I picked up an adjustable spanner from Princess Auto...man I love that store! Always an expensive trip. I think it will do the job.

Attachments

• Adjustable Spanner.jpg
    Adjustable Spanner.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 194
Which size is that wrench? On the princess auto website there are 2 sizes for sale. A $20 wrench and a larger $35 wrench.

I'd like to get one of these wrenches...

It's the smaller of the two, size was 35-105mm. I'll let you know how it works, I'm going to take a run at pulling this bearing tonight.

Worked but it's tight. The handle is on the long side. I started off shortening it up with a hacksaw but went through towo blades and only got 1/2" cut. I did file down the engaging tooth a bit but once it bit it didn't take too much effort on the clutch to back off that nut.

One adder to the procedure in the FAQ is there is a washer (or spacer) between the chain case and the snap ring on the jack shaft. When you tap the jack shaft out this ring will not fit between the bulkhead and the exhaust shield so it pops off. I didn't notice this until I went to install the jack shaft and I look through the bearing in the chain case and there's this washer laying on the bulk head.

I used on of those magnetic parts retrievers to position the washer as I pushed the jack shaft back in.

Also I heated the bearing seat lightly before tapping the shaft and the bearing came out easy.

L8r Shawn.

Im getting ready to change all jack shaft and drive shaft bearings. Is there an area that gives pictures to do this.

Steve,

I just sent you a PM. I will also look for my previous posts with pictures from back when I replaced every single driveline bearing and seal on my '07 Apex GT.

Dave

Guys, unfortunately I can not find the pictures on my PC but they exist in my previous posts in various threads on this subject in the past.

If you use the advanced search function you can search for posts by blue dave with the key words jackshaft or jack shaft and you will find them. Some of these threads are long so you may need to spend a little time paging through them.

Somewhere in these threads you will find my pictures, comments, bearing manufacturer part numbers, advice, etc. Here is a link to a most excellent step by step with pictures from the FAQ section that is very helpful.
http://www.totallyamaha.com/snowmobiles ... change.htm

This is a job that any of you can do yourself if you have basic mechanical aptitude and some common tools. It is not hard, just time consuming (good for some beer drinking time in the garage away from your wife) LOL!

If anyone wants to have a conversation regarding this subject feel free to send me a PM and I will be happy to help.

Back