• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Reverse

Obviously if the sled doesn't go into rev then there is a problem. I don't think having to shift your weight on the sled once or twice every ten times you need rev. could be considered non-functional. The reality is, just like on any ATV out there, when shifting gears of any kind, once in a while the engagement doesn't mesh perfectly. It's really not that unussual, unless it's a constant problem, then by all means take it in.

I didn't have a problem with reverse, but took the sled into dealer for another issue and they actually mentioned the reverse issue ... said my sled didn't go into reverse as quick as it should. Said they would take care of it ... not sure what they did, but it works great!

It was obviously something they had seen before ... nothing new.

Reverse gear motor burnout

Ok, seems like I am not the only one to have this issue.
Last year, and about $1400 later I had an issue with my phazer becoming increasingly more difficult to switch from forward to reverse gear.
It wasn't until I was going full steam down a lake when boom!
The dealer tells me that they have never seen this before, maybe just in North Bay.

There is a motor that actives a secondary shaft underneath the engine which is responsible for the shifting between drive modes, apparently 2007 models and some 08's have motors that weaken over time and crap out, in my case the transmission was constantly trying to shift into drive while in the middle between the two. This weaking of the motor then caused excessive wear on the shift dog inside this assembly. Also, I was told that Yamaha knows about this but unfortuntly, only made changes to 09's and up. So I was SOL!

I had to have this done professionaly as its out of my league, but the secondary shaft must be removed and inspected, motor swapped-its about 200$, shift dog 65$ and the rest is labour since you gotta tear apart the whole engine cavity. So I'd be checking that out, because other then a little rock to get in into reverse you shouldn't have to be reefing on it and banging on it to make it go.

Sounds like what happened to my Phazer. It wouldn't shift into reverse (bought the sled like that). I thought I had fixed it at first by modifying the reverse sensor switch and it worked fine for a while. Then, it started grinding in forward gear with the dog gears not quite engaging enough. Wound up just getting another used reverse gear case and installing a new shift motor. Looking at the original gear, I saw that the input shaft bearing had slipped out of position and into the case about 1/4", preventing the forward dog gears from engaging and the forward sensor switch from working.

Back